We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaii for 2 weeks

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaii for 2 weeks

My wife and I are planning on going to Hawaii in the spring of 2013 for a 2-week vacation. We are not snorkeling people - our interests are waterfalls, gardens, light hiking, natural wonders, nice hotels, restaurants & bars. What would be the perfect time to visit, Feb, March or April?

How many days on Oahu, the Big Island, Maui and Kauai. Which airline on the island flights? We´ll be flying in to Honolulu from Sweden via SF or LA.

Helicopter tours?

Would very much appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Cheers/Bo

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Honolulu
Honolulu
Oahu, HI
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaii for 2 weeks

You have posted this on the Lihue forum on the island of Kauai forum, you may want to post in the Hawaii forum for more responses. With 2 weeks, I would suggest 2 islands.

Mentioned in this post
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaii for 2 weeks

Thanks for the tip. Have now post it on the Hawaii forum.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,173 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaii for 2 weeks

Two weeks and first time to Hawaii I take it? Not sure how to break it up between islands? So much of this depends on how you like to travel. Some like to cram in as many islands as possible thinking that they have to see it all. Others prefer to take it easier and do 1 or a max of 2 islands in that time frame.

It also depends on types of activities you like. Kauai certainly suits your needs for the natural wonders of waterfalls, gardens, hiking, etc. but other islands are better for the restaurants and bars.

Based on what you've told us I would definitely recommend Kauai and I might toss in Maui as a 2nd island. I really don't recommend more than 2 islands if you really want to delve into everything an island has to offer. Also keep in mind the interislands flights are expensive and island-hopping is very time-consuming contrary to what most people would think. Figure you lose a good 60-75% of a day just relocating from one island to another and all the hassles that go with it.

Even though you posted this on the Lihue forum and posts there will automatically be on the main Kauai forum too. Since most Kauai posters just head straight to the main Kauai forum tab you're set just fine in getting responses from us Kauai folk. Posting on the other island forums also will give you broader feedback though.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Lihue
Lihue
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
39,770 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaii for 2 weeks

Hej!

Good for you for traveling so far.

Two weeks and I say 2 islands. I like Feb and I like late April. I am not a fan of March on Kauai. It is spring break for schools on the mainland, I have never had good weather then, but its up to you if that's when you can travel. Feb and March you have better chances of seeing lots of whales.

Do you have a need to visit Oahu? If it were me and I was leaving from SFO, I would first fly to Maui (use Alaska Airlines if you can). That is my second favorite island. Stay at a nice hotel (Four Seasons, Fairmont Kea Lani, Hyatt, Sheraton etc) and then come over to Kauai for a week. On Maui do a boat trip to see the whales (maybe pop on over to Lana'i for a night...heaven) and do the hiking, helicopter tour, garden tours etc on Kauai. I also recommend the Hyatt on Kauai but what I would do is rent a condo (apartment I think you call it). That is the way to go. Look into Kuhio Shores, Poipu Kapili or Kiahuna Plantation on the Southern part of the island that time of the year. Maybe spend a few nights on the gorgeous North Shore.

Hej då

Edited: 6:31 pm, August 09, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui
4,873 Reviews
Maui, HI
Poipu Kapili
Poipu Kapili
390 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kiahuna Plantation Resort
Kiahuna Plantation Resort
1,838 Reviews
Kauai, HI
North Shore
North Shore
1,030 Reviews
Oahu, HI
5. Re: Hawaii for 2 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, August 21, 2013