We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic Advisory for highway around Hanama'ulu....

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,847 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Traffic Advisory for highway around Hanama'ulu....

Aloha from Kaua'i!

For those folks who are here now, or coming shortly - this information would be of interest - a good area to avoid:

Beginning Monday, August 6, and continuing until August 16 or 2 weeks, they will be demolishing the black top and re-paving the road around the Hanamaulu Bridge During this time there will be one lane open with flaggers at each end, so one direction will be stopped while the other direction goes through and then vice versa. 24 hours a day 7 days a week. This is between the Hanama`ulu intersection and Airport Intersection...best to use Kuhio Hwy and Ahukini to go around...gonna be SLOW going next week.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,847 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic Advisory for highway around Hanama'ulu....

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'm "bumping" this topic up - since this roadwork (along with some really bad traffic accidents in the last week) has been making traffic along this corridor really horrendous - it took my hula sister one hour to drive from the Kuamo'o Rd. intersection to Lihu'e yesterday!

So please take notice and try to adjust your driving around it - or you might very well get stuck in a real mess!

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
35,295 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic Advisory for highway around Hanama'ulu....

I've seen pictures. Its nasty out there.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,847 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic Advisory for highway around Hanama'ulu....

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yes, it is really bad - waaay worse than the normal traffic roadwork that we've had lately.

Two people almost didn't make it to torchlighting last night at the Hyatt due to the hang ups on the highway - took them about twice as long to drive from Wailua...

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,847 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic Advisory for highway around Hanama'ulu....

Aloha from Kaua'i!

This from local DJ Ron Wiley's information:

"I would anticipate another LONG delay for folks traveling through Kapa`a to Lihu`e after about 3 up to as late as 7:30 this afternoon and evening."

Fair warning!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
874 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic Advisory for highway around Hanama'ulu....

There is NO good alternative around this - been through it yesterday going Poipu to Kapaa, and today going Kapaa to airport. Both trips involved over an hour at a crawling pace. Why this has to happen during evening "rush" hour is a mystery to me. If you are catching any flights between 3 and 7 I would allow plenty of time.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,635 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic Advisory for highway around Hanama'ulu....

So does it help at all to take the Kuhio/Ahukini route? Or are the turn-offs still to deep into the back-up of traffic?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,847 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic Advisory for highway around Hanama'ulu....

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Updated advisory for this traffic mess:

Explanation of one Lane only on Kapule Hwy 24/7 thru next week:The first phase of reconstructing Kapule Highway from Ahukini Road to Kuhio Highway (North of the Lihue Airport) requires constructing concrete bridge approach slabs on both ends of the Hanama’ulu Bridge. This concrete requires cure time before receiving traffic loads and the existing bridge width is not wide enough to accommodate two adjacent lanes of traffic. To facilitate traffic through this work area, the Hawaii Department of Transportation has open only ONE lane 24/7. Thru Aug 17.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic Advisory for highway around Hanama'ulu....

KONG Monday Facebook post says: "...Great news the D.O. T. contractor has opened both lanes on Kapule Hwy between Ahukini and Kuhio Hwy. The first phase of reconstructing Kapule Hwy in the area is complete which involved constructing concrete bridge approach slabs on both ends...."

It goes on to indicate..."..The start of the Kapule NIGHT WORK has been delayed until Sunday night August 19 at 7 pm. There is a shortage of some key equipment needed for the project. The equipment will be available nextweek. Should be smoothe sailing on Kapule Hwy this week..."

KONG info indicates night work, once started, may take place into mid-September

Note: My understanding is that night work is from 7 pm to 5 am.

9. Re: Traffic Advisory for highway around Hanama'ulu....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 21, 2013