We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation from Lihue airport to Princeville

Mission Viejo
1 post
Save Topic
transportation from Lihue airport to Princeville

We are a family of 12 going from Lihue airport to Princeville for a week. Does anyone have an economical recommendation on how to get there and back? We could rent cars, but don't need them for the week, and would need two - a huge expense. Shuttle services, likewise, would charge over $1,000 to and from, for our group. Has anyone taken the bus? How do think that would work for a family with small children??

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation from Lihue airport to Princeville

You will likelly need to rent vehicles or 12 passenger van. Bus not practical but here is link and you can also find restrictions on what can take on bus.

let alone will it even service airport, your lodging area, your schedule etc etc

kauai.gov/Government/…Default.aspx

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,096 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation from Lihue airport to Princeville

Speedi Shuttle Kauai was created just for you. They have very nice Mercedes 12-passenger vans. Reserve well in advance to make sure you can get one of their vans for your entire family.

http://www.speedishuttle.com/

You can request a quote online too. I'd be surprised if their charge is $1,000. I've taken them a number of times and paid about $38 from Poipu and I'd think they'd give some sort of group discount for the 12 of you. I've never had more than one other person in the van with me and they seemed to be in need of more business. Individual taxi companies have not welcomed them on Kauai for obvious reasons.

Edited: 12:13 am, July 24, 2012
LA
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation from Lihue airport to Princeville

I can't imagine being in Princville with a group of 12 without rental cars.

The bus is not an option. The bus service is very limited and you would need to transfer. They also do not allow luggage.

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation from Lihue airport to Princeville

Below is one web site that shows 15 passenger van for $800 for week.

You can judge that having convenience of transportation for entire group wherever / whenever you want to go versus arranging transportation to / from Princeville and arranging car rentals for the few times you mention.

http://www.hawaiicarrentals.net/rates.html

You could also get a possible quote for similar type vehicle from following but will need to call as I do not see 12 or 15 passenger van listed:

www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/rates.shtml

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation from Lihue airport to Princeville

The $800 for week I mention in post #4 is not including various fees and taxes but if you want to see what it works out to be you can look at following link and see that about $993 for week if not during peak season.

hawaiicarrentals.net/15-passenger-vans.html

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,786 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation from Lihue airport to Princeville

So why do you not want to rent a couple of cats? I rented a mini van for two weeks for $600 including taxes. It sat 8 people. Two mid sized cars should fit 12 people with room for luggage and less expensive than the transportation optons already mentioned.

Edited: 2:51 am, July 24, 2012
California
Level Contributor
37,472 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation from Lihue airport to Princeville

Oh heavens, rent two cars or two vans. Having 12 people and no transportation in Princeville is a death sentence. You will kill each other. Optional transportation is just too pricey. You would also need to find a way to get back? Don't you want to visit the island? You could take the bus (bus goes from airport to near Walmart to the North Shore and drops you off at the shopping center where you would then need to walk to whereever you are staying. Takes about 2 hours)

If you think you are going to rent a car once you get to Princeville that is not so easy. Avis has a rental site near the little private airport and they charge a small ransom. Rent cars and save the agony.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
925 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation from Lihue airport to Princeville

<<So why do you not want to rent a couple of cats? >>

Martik , maybe they are dog people :-)

sorry could not resist

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,096 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: transportation from Lihue airport to Princeville

I posted information on speedi shuttle with completing overlooking the fact that they would be in Princeville without a rental car the entire time. As Jebett said , and only Jebett can put it this way, that's a death sentence and you'll end up killing each other. (I got a good laugh out of that but it's true, Jebett).

So unless you've got 12 people none of which who drive get a rental vehicle or two.

LA
Level Contributor
10,099 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: transportation from Lihue airport to Princeville

Cats available for rental. All models, all sizes available. Inquire now