We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Average price from Denver to Kauai? When to buy airfare?

Save Topic
Average price from Denver to Kauai? When to buy airfare?

Hello, We have a large combined family group going to Kauai in August from Denver. I hate to buy tickets too early- but am worried that prices will only go up being that this is a summer vacation time of year. What average price should I expect to pay from Denver and do you have advice on when to buy for traveling in August? thanks!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,573 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Average price from Denver to Kauai? When to buy airfare?

I fly from Honolulu to Colorado Springs once a year. It may be a bit more expensive to fly to Kauai. Anything that is around 800.00 round trip would be a good price. From what we are seeing, prices aren't coming down much. With the exception of some flights that originate from the west coast.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
397 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Average price from Denver to Kauai? When to buy airfare?

I think the average is 8-900. The best time to buy is 6 weeks ahead but that's not practical for a family vacation unless you're doing last minute.

In your situation I book as soon as accommodations are decided because that's more important. You can't gamble with flights that could become full with a large group.

Save Reply
3. Re: Average price from Denver to Kauai? When to buy airfare?

thanks much, I was hoping to come in under $800, but that may just not be the going rate these days! I appreciate your response.

Save Reply
4. Re: Average price from Denver to Kauai? When to buy airfare?

Thanks for your reply! You're right of course, in that it would be more of a crisis to not be able to book the same flights if we waited for a price reduction. It will be a great vacation I'm sure! thanks.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Average price from Denver to Kauai? When to buy airfare?

Hi. We booked our Denver to Kauai flights thru Costco travel. They had a fly and drive package. 3500 for four flights and car rental for 9 days.

Save Reply
6. Re: Average price from Denver to Kauai? When to buy airfare?

wow, that sounds like a very good package. Might I ask what month you booked for? That did not include hotel I am assuming. thanks!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Average price from Denver to Kauai? When to buy airfare?

Sure, mid February. No hotel. We booked that separately.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Average price from Denver to Kauai? When to buy airfare?

I rarely pay more than $800 for round trip from Sask. Canada that goes through Denver to Lihue - sometimes through Honolulu, sometimes direct. I have had it down to <$600 this past year. This month - $783. And again that is with an extra leg on the trip.

Surely you can get a better rate when you start and end right in Denver! Best rates are almost always on Expedia.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Average price from Denver to Kauai? When to buy airfare?

Sign up for AirFareWatchdog.com - they will send you alerts on good fares out of any city. We have flown both the direct DEN-HNL with an interisland hop and DEN-LAX-LIH and they usually factor out to be around the same price. We have only traveled in the "shoulder season" (April-May and Sept-Oct) because airfare is $300-400 cheaper then, and there's greater availability to use FF miles.

Don't fly Sat-Sat if you can - cheapest fares are on Wed. and Thursday.

Definitely book the redeye HNL-DEN - it's so nice to wake up in Denver and not have to change planes at 5:30 a.m.

US Airways often has cheaper fares connecting in PHX, but they get low points for lousy service, older airplanes, and generally being cut-rate all around.

Don't discount Alaska Airlines - they fly out of DEN with a connection in SEA or a couple different CA airports.

Save Reply
10. Re: Average price from Denver to Kauai? When to buy airfare?

Excellent advice on checking to HNL and we have been looking at Alaska Air out of Oakland and San Jose. Right now the added flight to one of those plus hotel for the evening is kind of a wash but I remain hopeful

I am on Kayak fare alert and will add watchdog as well. Thanks so much for the help.