We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Grove Farm Homestead the Same as Kilohana Plantation?

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
278 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Is Grove Farm Homestead the Same as Kilohana Plantation?

We've been to the Kilohana Plantation several times. I read about the Grove Farm Homestead tour. Are these actually the same place with different titles or are they two different properties? Thank you.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,351 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Grove Farm Homestead the Same as Kilohana Plantation?

Two different places. We toured Grove Farm years ago and have dined at Kilohana. Grove Farm is more 'history'; less commercial. Worth a visit!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,127 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Grove Farm Homestead the Same as Kilohana Plantation?

The Grove Farm tour is a step back in time. I have been several times as I enjoy taking people who have not been on this tour. The estate is one of the Wilcox family homes and is pretty much as it was when George Wilcox lived there in the early 1900's. Lots of history tidbits on the guided tour.

Very worthwhile.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,939 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Grove Farm Homestead the Same as Kilohana Plantation?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I volunteer at the Kaua'i Museum (in fact I'm due there in a couple of hours) and when visitors ask me for other interesting "musuems" on island - I always recommend the "Grove Farm Homestead" - which IMO is very much a "hidden gem" as it doesn't get a whole lot of hoopla in the visitor publications - but it is a wonderful place that you certainly can get a "feel" for what it was like to be a sugar plantation owner and get a real sense of that era.

Kilohana is also a plantation owner's home - but it has been converted into commercial shops and a restaurant (with a lu'au on the grounds as well on certain nights) and a train, etc. - much more of an "attraction" than a museum, although well worth checking out - it is still a beautiful home and a great place to visit.

Here are links on both so you can see the difference and what they offer:

http://www.grovefarm.net/

http://www.kilohanakauai.com/

One prominent sugar plantation family (who were also early missionaries here) - the Wilcox family owned Kilohana and the Grove Farm Homestead as well. Grove Farm still owns approximately 40,000 acres on Kaua'i actually - a long-lived operaton for sure!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
278 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Grove Farm Homestead the Same as Kilohana Plantation?

My sincere thanks to all of you for the information. Thrills me to think I have more to see on Kauai. We will book the tour at the Homestead now that we know it is in fact different than the Kilohana Plantation.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
278 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Grove Farm Homestead the Same as Kilohana Plantation?

We went to the Museum a few years ago and had the older tour guide who use to be a teacher and knows his history of Kauai quite well. He was wonderful for our tour and we enjoyed every minute of it. Thanks for all you do to keep that museum alive.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,939 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Grove Farm Homestead the Same as Kilohana Plantation?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I worked at the Museum yesterday and again today - Uncle Lin was the docent yesterday (older Japanese American gentleman, also retired schoolteacher) - today was supposed to be Uncle Roy Miyake (I think maybe he is who you are referring to?).....but he was out and his substitute called in sick.....so guess who was doing the docent tour today?

Poor visitors (I think there were 7 of them) - an hour and a half of my wala'au (talking) - and I'm certainly not Uncle Lin or Uncle Roy!! Heck, I didn't have anybody walk out on me, so I figure it couldn't have been that bad, right?

The regular docents at the Kaua'i Museum are all excellent (I am a substitute, not in that category!) - and each has their own specialty as well.......both Uncle Lin and Uncle Roy are great....they have lived a great part of the history of Kaua'i since WWII and can talk about it with visitors and bring it alive for them.....Tuesdays and Wednesdays are their days to do the tours normally.

And yes, Grove Farm Homestead is wonderful - definitely a must see if you are interested in that era of history of Kaua'i!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
278 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Grove Farm Homestead the Same as Kilohana Plantation?

Uncle Lin was the docent and we enjoyed every minute of his stories. He DID bring the history of Kauai to life in so many areas. You can tell him even years later his sharing has moved me. Our family still talks about it.

As for your work, never underestimate your affect on people! I have watched you post on Kauai for years and wondered how you did all the things you have to bring Kauai alive TODAY! I was very sick for several years and about the only thing I did was go on the computer. You brought a world of peaceful joy to me as I suffered through the long days and nights. Bet you didn't know that! Who knows how many other people read your posts but never really respond.

Keep up your work in all the different places you that you bring your spirit. It is making a difference. Just thought you might be needing to hear that.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,939 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Grove Farm Homestead the Same as Kilohana Plantation?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Wow, mahalo nui for those very kind words - you made MY day! Honi's (kisses) to you for that!

I'll be sure to tell Uncle Lin what you said as well - he is a treasure for sure!

Malama Pono,

Janet

9. Re: Is Grove Farm Homestead the Same as Kilohana Plantation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:45 am, April 27, 2011