We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best side of plane to sit on flying into Lihue, Kauai

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Best side of plane to sit on flying into Lihue, Kauai

I should remember from previous trips, but I just don't. I will be flying there this spring and want to have a great view flying in.....not so much for me, but this will be my daughter's first trip. We fly out on a red eye, so the trip in will be the only chance for a view.

I have already selected seats on the left (facing cockpit) because I just couldn't remember which side was better! I may be able to change the seats without an additional fee if most people agree the right side is a better view.....generally.

Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
35,831 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best side of plane to sit on flying into Lihue, Kauai

Left is right!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,389 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best side of plane to sit on flying into Lihue, Kauai

Yep, the left side gives you the best views.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best side of plane to sit on flying into Lihue, Kauai

Thanks for the replies so far. I will likely just keep my seats......paid $20 for them, and chances are they'd charge me another $20 to change. However, if I was sure the view would be worth the switch, I'd do it. When I was booking my seat with the Westjet representative on the phone she told me my seats were on the right, but when I asked if that was on the right if facing the cockpit, she told me it was actually right if facing the rear of the plane.....hence, my seats are on the left. Add that confusion to some conflicting opinions from family members (who live on Kauai) about where to get the best view, and that explains my post here!

I guess if I see a much lovelier view out the right side I can just casually lean over the 3 strangers seated on that side and have a peak. :-)

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,389 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best side of plane to sit on flying into Lihue, Kauai

The lower letters (A,B,C) are on the left (port) side of the plane. Unless the wind shifts 180 degrees at the airport, you will not see anything but the ocean on the right side.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best side of plane to sit on flying into Lihue, Kauai

My seats are 8 a & b......

In future I will pay more attention when I fly so I can recall where I sat and whether or not I enjoyed the view. Seems simple enough.

Thanks again!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best side of plane to sit on flying into Lihue, Kauai

The inside! ;>).............

You really don't get much more than a minute or so of view. Wouldn't stress over it. Save your money for an airplane tour.

And if the wind is Kona they sometimes land in the reverse direction so there's that off chance as well.

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best side of plane to sit on flying into Lihue, Kauai

As everyone has said so far, the "left" side when facing the cockpit, and the "right" side when facing the rear of the plane, is where you will get the view of the island upon your approach and landing. On my first visit many years ago I was on the opposite side and remembered how people on the other side were looking out the window and seemed to be in awe of what they were seeing as we landed.

Oh, and it doesn't cost extra to be on the side where you can see Kauai when landing either, so you won't be saving money by sitting on the opposite side.

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best side of plane to sit on flying into Lihue, Kauai

The view inbound is not much. Call Wings over Kauai for a real aerial view. You'll be glad you did.

9. Re: Best side of plane to sit on flying into Lihue, Kauai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, April 04, 2011