We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any restaurants like Shorebird's?

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City, MO
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Any restaurants like Shorebird's?

LOVE Shorebird's @Outrigger Reef on the Beach on Oahu. Anybody know of something similar to that on Kauai? Also, if you have ever been to Haleiwa on the North Shore of Oahu on the weekends, you are familiar with their huli huli chicken. Anything like that on Kauai?

Mahalo in advance!

Aloha!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any restaurants like Shorebird's?

Well, we make Huli Huli chicken at home all of the time. Duke's in Lihue also serves Huli Huli chicken and I hear it's great! Sorry, I cannot comment on your other questions since we spend so little time on Oahu. Maybe someone else can......

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any restaurants like Shorebird's?

We purchase our huli chicken at Costco, markets, or sometimes at the Anahola roadside stand bbq when driving back from the north shore,and take it home.

Mighty tasty, and easy, with no major dinner preparations except for a salad.

We cannot help with shorebird comparisons , but most of the huli chicken that we get, is extremely tasty.....regardless of the source. All good and only about $ 5.00.

Super when we do not feel like bbqing or cooking ourselves after a day of being active.....also great for picnics at the beach parks.

Denny

Edited: 8:49 am, April 20, 2010
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Any restaurants like Shorebird's?

Huli Huli chicken is pretty common there. Martik is correct. Duke's has a very good huli huli chicken. Their combo meal of the huli huli chicken with teriyaki beef brochettes is very good. Yeah, I know, it's part of a chain. Oh well, it's good food and great views.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any restaurants like Shorebird's?

For a "chain" restaurant, I thik Duke's and Keoki's (Kimo's on Maui, etc) does a great job. We have a couple here in California. I've never ordered Huli Huli chicken from anywhere. We always make it at home and while on Kauai. Very easy to make if you have the right marinate.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any restaurants like Shorebird's?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

My hubby and I love Shorebird's restaurant and whenever we go off island and are staying in the Waikiki area - we try to have breakfast there - great buffet and fabulous view - right on the beach!

We don't have anything here I'm afraid that would be very similar - the closest restaurant to being "right on the beach" would be Duke's - either the downstairs Barefoot Bar area where you can have lunch - or upstairs for dinner - you aren't exactly "right on the beach" like the Shorebird - but you are darn close - no buffet either I'm afraid.

Huli chicken is ubiquitous here - many organizations sell it as a fund raiser - but the problem is that usually you have to purchase a ticket beforehand and then pick it up the day of - so keep an eye out in the newspaper while you are here and you might get lucky!

The name "Huli Huli Chicken" is actually copyrighted or some such, so you'll see it advertised more often as "Huli Chicken" - same thing!

You can also buy the "real stuff" in terms of a sauce at the local markets here and make your own - I have one right here "Hawai'i's Famous

Huli-Huli Sauce" for chicken, pork, beef and fish - I use it on my grilled fish personally - tasty! It even shows a website: www.hulihuli.com

I don't eat chicken - but the sauce is great on fish as well!

Malama Pono,

Janet

CANADA
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Any restaurants like Shorebird's?

Last time we were on Kauai we had opportunity to buy Huli Huli chicken but skipped it ... a big mistake. We're coming to Kauai in early June. Where is the best roadside Huli Huli chicken on Kauai (prefer closer to North Shore)? What days? Do you have to buy coupons in advance? If so how can we arrange this before we leave? Thanks...Darren

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any restaurants like Shorebird's?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

There is a current thread on "Huli Huli Chicken" - just a couple threads above you at this point - check it out for info.

Malama Pono,

Janet

8. Re: Any restaurants like Shorebird's?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:33 am, October 22, 2010