We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone familiar with the polynesian festival in June?

Ventura ,CA
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Topic
Anyone familiar with the polynesian festival in June?

have you attended it before or been a vendor there ever?is it well attended event? did it seem profitable for the vendors and fun for the attendees? i was thinking about being a vendor at it when i'm there but wanted to know more about it.any info would be great thanks.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone familiar with the polynesian festival in June?

Oh yes, it is well attended, and there are vendors, very close the the seating area and the stage.

As to how much money the vendors bring in, no idea, but plenty of people are browsing about when we have been there.

Performances are good, as I believe they are all in competition. Judges sit up front evalation the performances. Dancing groups from the islands, and pacific rim.

Held at Vadina Stadium in Lihue.

Denny

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,715 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone familiar with the polynesian festival in June?

Your post caught my attention as we will be on island in June, but the dates this year are May 27-30. Just thought I'd mention it so other TAers travelling in June don't get too excited. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone familiar with the polynesian festival in June?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

This festival used to be our old "Tahiti Fete" - then it was re-vamped and is now run by Kumu Hula Kapu Kinimaka-Alquiza and is a "Polynesian Festival".

It does indeed have competitive dancing as well as some various workshops and showcases (not competition).

The vendors are pretty well spread out between this event and the also very popular "Heiva" (Tahitian dance competition) which is held in Kapa'a in August - this event actually seems to get more Tahitian related product vendors in my experience.

Both of them are pretty well attended - I'd say that the Polynesian Festival gets a few more people simply because it seems to be more heavily promoted in the visitor publications.

Vendors generally must have either Kaua'i-made products or products made in Polynesia or are Polynesia-related.....it isn't as much like our general type crafts fairs. I know quite a few vendors that work at each of them and it just depends from year to year whether they do well or not.

Aunty Kapu does a really nice job with the Polynesian Festival - I'd highly recommend it to anyone who is visiting during that time and enjoys Polynesian dance (Tahiti, Hawai'i, Samoa, etc.)

Malama Pono,

Janet

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,609 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone familiar with the polynesian festival in June?

If you want to watch the dancing it's good for a couple of hours. Seating is out in the sun. I was mostly unimpressed by the vendors, although there were some very nice things. Most of the nice ones were pretty high-end. There are some fun workshops and informal "workshops" where you can learn things like lauhala weaving and bracelet making. I did take one dance workshop, which turned out to be way too advanced for me at the time.

Ventura ,CA
Level Contributor
70 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anyone familiar with the polynesian festival in June?

thank you all for your post i make beautiful jewelry and sell at many markets here in california but my friend that i am visiting told me about it and i thought i'd look into it. any other markets/ fairs that you know of please let me know. thanks agian and look foreward to meeting you all in Kauai, for the trip advisor party!!!

6. Re: Anyone familiar with the polynesian festival in June?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, September 23, 2010