We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lihue Marriott Construction Progress?

Snowmass Village...
Level Contributor
58 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Lihue Marriott Construction Progress?

My husband I planned an anniversary trip back in May using points to stay at the Marriott in Lihue with the hope the construction would be finished on time (back then it was to have been done in Sept.) Reading different comments here on TA from those that have stayed there recently (although sometimes new posts are from not so recent trips.) Wondering if anyone has the "local scoop" on what is going on. We will be there for 8 days, beginning Oct. 8. Thanks so much!!

California
Level Contributor
37,459 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lihue Marriott Construction Progress?

According to a post from 2 weeks ago construction will be ongoing until the Xmas holidays.

The room renovations are supposed to be completed soon but not some of the outside work.

I had personally called the Marriott to get this information and you could do the same closer to your trip. They were very honest about what exactly was going on.

Snowmass Village...
Level Contributor
58 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lihue Marriott Construction Progress?

Thanks, jebett. I will give Marriott a call too. We won't be changing our trip (already starting to see snow here in Colorado!) and will have a great time, just wanting to know what to expect. Thanks again!

sacramento ca
Level Contributor
686 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lihue Marriott Construction Progress?

we just got home from there- alot of construction by the pool- i don't think it can be done by october-still working on a whole restaurant but we didn't let it bother our trip one bit! ok, we didn't have the massage on the beach as we had planned because it didn't seem too relaxing with the jackhammers and tile cutters going but that was all

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lihue Marriott Construction Progress?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

When we went to Duke's for breakfast about a week ago - the pool was partically cordoned off (but still usable, just a section of it closed off) and the entire Kukui's restaurant area is under heavy construction.

I know know about any construction elsewhere - it wasn't evident to me in walking thru the property.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Snowmass Village...
Level Contributor
58 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lihue Marriott Construction Progress?

I appreciate the eye-witness accounts! Always a different perspective from a local or guest not on the payroll! Thank you!

California
Level Contributor
37,459 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lihue Marriott Construction Progress?

The Marriott was honest with me and told me construction near the pool and garden area would not be complete until Dec. When people tell me that I add weeks onto that assessment. Because of the weather things move slowly on the island.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,096 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Lihue Marriott Construction Progress?

I'm on island now and I've been over that way a few times - the beach, and Duke's and also attended a friends wedding at the far east end of Kalapaki Bay.

As long as the construction doesn't ramp up anymore than it is, it's just not a big deal in my opinion. The terrace area adjoining the one side of the pool by Kukui's has been cordoned off but the pool is huge, many entrances, and it hasn't stopped the full use of the pool which appears to still be enjoyed as normal, by many.

You will find the normal pathways from the pool area to the lobby and some of the rooms to have some pretty odd and confusing detours.

All in all,none of this would prevent me from staying there. At least from what I've seen at this time.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,765 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Lihue Marriott Construction Progress?

Gosh I am flying out tomorrow and staying there for a week, was sure hoping they would have the better part of the work by the pool done by now. Never eat at Kukui's so that is not so worrisome, did they move the towel desk? It used to be down at the foot of the stairs from Aupaka Terrace, right next to the restrooms.

sacramento ca
Level Contributor
686 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Lihue Marriott Construction Progress?

towel desk was there in the latter part of our trip.when we first got there it was on other side. you couldn't use those stairs by the towel desk tho and that was a bit annoying. it was mainly the noise- a tile cutter always sounds like the dentist to me!

oh yeah and one morning they were fixing the tile floor in the lobby leading to our room so i couldn't get back upstairs for a few hours. this was last week

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,765 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Lihue Marriott Construction Progress?

Thanks for the update, will try and post a report when I get back.