We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

DWZ
Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
Car Rental

Would anyone recommend renting from Alamo? Kayak.com searches repeatedly have them as the lowest cost. How would you rate their service?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

If you search for Alamo on this forum, you'll get a lot of contradictory reviews. Personally, we had no problems at all renting from them last year and will use them again when we return this summer. We book through the Costco website and Alamo always has the lowest prices by far.

Level Contributor
533 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

We rented through Costco with Alamo. We had no problems except they hit us with a new optional charge. They call it "Loss of Use" coverage. That means if anything happens to the car while you have it that would put it out of commission for a day or a month, you are responsible for the daily rental rate until it is back in service. They said only three states require it. It costs $12.99 per day, which adds up quickly. Upon arriving home, my husband concluded it was no more than Damage and Collision, which our State Farm would have convered. Does anyone know anything about this?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental

They tried to do the same to us. It is not a required coverage. You would need to check with your insurance company and credit card company to see if you're covered.

Algonquin, IL
Level Contributor
175 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental

SunNut you were scammed.

Level Contributor
533 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental

Yes. I know that now. But when you've been awake for 21 hours, you don't have much to fall back on and they know that.

Level Contributor
533 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental

Yes. I know that now. But when you've been awake for 21 hourseast Coast and delays), you don't have much to fall back on and they know that.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,180 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental

Your post reminded me that Alamo pushed us really hard last fall to take that coverage too. I must have said "No" 5 times....Still their rate through Costco was really low - we had a compact for 3 weeks for $412.00 with all the taxes and fees...we liked the car and for that price, I'll put up with pushy people!

3Chihuahuas

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,360 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental

DWZ - here's the link to the most recent Alamo conversation:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k16926…

Have you checked through the Costco website? You can usually get a screaming deal for Alamo.

I'd rate them a 2 across the board (lines, service, cleanliness, availability), except a 5 for price (plus we've never had any kind of mechanical problem with their cars).

9. Re: Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, September 21, 2009