We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lihue -- Hilton or Marriott

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
denver
1 post
Save Topic
Lihue -- Hilton or Marriott

We're planning a May trip to Kauai and are looking into both the Hilton Kauai Resort and Marriott Kauai in Lihue. We don't necessarily need upscale, just somewhere clean and quiet to sleep since we'll be doing a lot of outdoor activities. I read a lot of recent reviews on the net regarding mold and musty smells in a lot of the Marriott rooms. Anyone heard of this? Any input regarding comparing the two hotels? Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
35,557 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lihue -- Hilton or Marriott

I have stayed at the Marriott and liked it. The two hotels you talk about are different and in a different location. The Hilton is kind of off by itself. The Marriott is down by the harbor where the cruise ships come in and closer to many restaurants. The Marriott is much fancier. I would also look into Kauai Beachboy and Islander on the Beach. They are in Kapa'a. I've stayed in both since they have been remodeled and I liked them. Not a good swimmable beach though, but close to restaurants and shopping. You can find privately owned units for less than rack rate on summitpacific.com and VRBO.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lihue -- Hilton or Marriott

The Marriott is within walking distance to a lot of shops and restaurants. The HIlton is secluded but does have a few shops, a bar, and a restaurant in it. The Marriott is on a swimmable beach, the Hilton is on a pretty but non-swimable beach. Don't know about the rooms at the Marriott, but the newly renovated rooms at the Hilton are really nice. If you're looking for a place more secluded, go with the Hilton, if you want something in a busy area, go with the Marriott.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lihue -- Hilton or Marriott

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Personally between the two hotels - the Lihu'e Marriot of the Kaua'i Hilton -- I would choose the Lihu'e Marriot.

I love their grounds - their pool is certainly one of the "over the top" types that are so popular -- Duke's Restaurant is one of our best eating spots on island and is right there on property -- you have Kalapaki Beach there to enjoy and swim in (most of the time). It is in a busy area where the cruise ships come in and also a couple small shopping centers -- but the Marriot itself is a quiet oasis --they have wonderful walking paths that you can run or walk on through from the main hotel in the golf course area and when it was a Westin property it was always known as a "destination resort" - someplace that you could spend your whole vacation at and never leave -- while I don't agree with that philosophy (why even go someplace if you aren't going to leave the hotel property?) -- it is a beautiful hotel that has many perks.

The Kaua'i Hilton is also a very nice property -- much smaller and not on a swimmable beach -- but it is also popular and as long as you don't mind having to get in your car to drive anyplace (it is right off the main highway between Lihu'e and Kapa'a) it would be a nice place to stay. It is much, much smaller than the Marriot.

I haven't personally heard about the mold or mustiness issue at the Lihu'e Marriot - but almost all of our hotel properties get this occasional comment -- it is a tropical climate and sometimes rooms do indeed smell a little musty if they haven't been aired and opened for a bit.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,399 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Lihue -- Hilton or Marriott

Well I'm a little prejudiced toward the Lihue Marriott since we own a timeshare there, but we stay there every year and I have never had any problem with mold or mildew. I just paid my maintnence fee and the reports say they are going to once again remodel many of the bedrooms, most of the units got remodeled (new carpet, paint, furniture, paintings, etc.) 4-5 years ago, so it is well kept up.

The staff is very friendly there, and service oriented and like Janet says the pool is wonderful.

I wish you a wonderful stay wherever you decide upon.

Nassau, New York
Level Contributor
1,370 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lihue -- Hilton or Marriott

We stayed at the Marriott for 1 night. We needed a place to sleep in between our timeshare bookings. Anyway, we had a bad experience. The grounds, no argument, are absolutely GORGEOUS. We booked 2 hotel rooms (not timeshare) for the night. When we arrived we were told that they were overbooked. There were 6 of us all together....my in-laws were with the 4 of us. So, being that they needed all the rooms they could have, the offered to "upgrade" us into a 1BR timeshare room. I was leary from the start because fitting 6 into a 1BR unit that really only sleeps 4 is tight. There was a murphy bed in the living room and a king in the master. We were told that it would be fine and they would provide 2 roll aways for us. So, we decided for one night, why not.

Well, we obviously didn't get a recently updated room. I have to say, being a Marriott timeshare owner, I was extremely disappointed. The carpeting was stained, the faucet knobs were coming off, the balcony was dirty, the screen door to the balcony looked like if you tried to open it, it would fall off.

It wasn't what I expected. If you choose this hotel, please make sure you ask for a renovated room.

6. Re: Lihue -- Hilton or Marriott

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:19 am, September 21, 2009