We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

food

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
food

My family of 6 are traveling to Hawaii this May. What are some good, less expensive places to eat, their locations(we aren't quite sure what island we will be on) and price ranges. Thanks a bunch.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,896 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: food

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I think if you search the forum a little bit, you'll find threads devoted to this type of place -- but I'll give you a few that are considered inexpensive:

Note: these are all on Kaua'i -- check the other island threads for info on their inexpensive spots.

Tip Top Cafe - Lihu'e

Dani's - Lihu'e

Bar-be-que Inn - Lihu'e

Hamura Saimin - Lihu'e

Wailua Marina Restaurant - Wailua

Sueoka Snack Shop (walk-up) -Old Koloa Town

Fish Express (take-out) - Lihu'e

None of these are fancy, most are more "local" than touristy, and most (except Wailua Marina) don't have any kind of view -- but they are inexpensive and places that I enjoy. Sorry, but I can't give you exact price ranges, but I'd say most of them are under $15.00 (and most are WELL under that).

Malama Pono,

Janet

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,187 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: food

Aloha! I would suggest that you visit Kauai. Not only one of the most beautiful islands (IMO), but once you get here, it's also one of the most inexpensive islands - both for lodging and food, especially if you compare it to Maui and Oahu. check out: www.kauaidiscovery.com May is the perfect time for staying on the North shore as well - just a suggestion. :)

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,901 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: food

Near the airport: Kalapaki Beach Hut - good burgers

In the Coconut Marketplace in Kapa`a (just north of the airport):

TC's - large menu, very reasonable prices

The Fish Hut - take out only (tables outside), simple grilled fish plates and fried seafood. Cheap.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: food

Just ending my week long vacation in Kauai (12-19 Apr 09). The Fish Express in Lihue has excellent food for the price...excellent plate lunch. We enjoyed Hawaiian Oriental dish (breaded chicken and shrimp) and two different Mahi Mahi dishes. We paid under $10.00 for each dish...excellent food...had to find a place to it. McDonalds and Burger King are plentiful but more expensive than the mailand. The best value for your money and island flavor is the plate lunch. Folks are friendly and will help you find plate lunches in the area you are visitng on the island. We also used the grocery stores and cooked in our accomodations since we had good cooking facilities. Gorcery store is not cheap but get the store's value card an it helps. The locals use COSTCO so if you have a memebership, bring your card and shopfor food that way...understand prices are similar to what you pay on the mainland.

5. Re: food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:38 am, October 16, 2009