We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

camping in kauai

chico Ca
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
camping in kauai

Is it safe to camp in Kauai? We would want to be on the North Shore. Is it safe to leave your tent with all your gear in it while you off for the day?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: camping in kauai

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I think you'll find Kaua'i is a great place to camp -- as long as you get your camping permit you should be fine!

There are tons of County and State Parks to choose from and if you follow common sense rules about not leaving valuable items in your tent and camping in a not isolated area you should be fine!

The camping area by the Dry Cave up in Ha'ena is especially nice if you are looking for North Shore camping -- a beautiful large beach and lots of facilities -- also the "lunch wagon" parks there pretty much regularly!

Do get your permits however as the parks are monitored pretty regularly.

Malama Pono,

Janet

chico Ca
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: camping in kauai

thank you so much! what about Anini-- is that right?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: camping in kauai

I camped at Anini for two weeks in June. Its a great place to camp and better than Haena, in my opinion. There were alot of people camping at Anini, especially during the June 13 to 19 timeframe. Most people left there tents up when they were away from the campsite. The ranger said it was OK to leave your tent up as long as you removed your valuables. I didnt hear of any problems with people not respecting others property. I am going back to Anini this December to camp again. There are restrooms, partially enclosed showers and free electricity. Anini is closed every Tuesday. I felt safe there. I parked my car near the street lights just to be on the safe side. The parking area is right off the road. You can pitch your tent very close to your car if you want. However, there are large rocks that prevent vehicles from entering the actual camping area. Many people preferred the 'beachfront' spots which were about 200 feet in from the road.

4. Re: camping in kauai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, September 08, 2009