We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for traveling to Kauai the middle of May 2007

Which Koloa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for traveling to Kauai the middle of May 2007

My family is planning our first trip to Kauai the second or third week in May 2007. Please advise as to how far in advance we need to make reservations, and the best way to put together an airfare, condo, and car package. I am looking to get as good a rate as possible, but I am not sure where to start. I am already considering the Poipu Kapili, but we are open to suggestions. We love the beach, and would like a 2 bedroom unit on the beach. Also, is air conditioning a big factor in May? My husband & I will be traveling with my 19 y/o daughter, and 72 y/o mother, so it should be an adventure.

Thank you in advance for the advice!

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for traveling to Kauai the middle of May 2007

We have been vacationing on Kauai for almost 20 years, so I can relay our experience and you can decide for yourself. Oviously, it is easiest to just go to a travel agent and buy a vacation package that includes the whole deal. Generally that is not the most economical way to do it. We usually book our airfare first, since we quite often use combinations of FF miles. You don't have to do this terribly far in advance, unless you re usuing miles. If so, you better get right on it. Lodging in May should be fairly easy to get. We sometimes book through one of the rental agencies on the island or directly through an owner. Kauai Vacation Rentals and Real Estate is a reputable one that comes to mind. You can check out their website to look at condos. Sometimes the rental agency can get you a deal on a rentl car too. Although we usually are able to beat their rate on our own.

Poipu Kapili is a very nice place, but there is NO beach there. Oceanfront units have a great ocean view, but it is across the street and a very rocky shoreline -- forget swimming there. If you are just staying for a week, there are a number of condos you might consider that are either on a beach or close to one. You need to decide if you want the northshore, east shore or south shore. Many of the regular posters here know great places besides us. We don't mind not having air conditioning that time of year, but it would influence our choice of condo. Need more info from you before we can say much more.

Hope this helps.

2. Re: Advice for traveling to Kauai the middle of May 2007

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, August 15, 2009