We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton Kauai - Entertainment at resort for free?

Weymouth...
Level Contributor
54 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Sheraton Kauai - Entertainment at resort for free?

Does anyone know what, if anything, the resort provides free of charge? Snorkling or luai or other types of events?

Just trying to plan my stay. Also feel free to chime in with anything around the resort that is a must do!

I'll be staying there in mid October and I'm actually just starting my research with this open ended post! Thanks!

10 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
37,611 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton Kauai - Entertainment at resort for free?

A luau for free? Nope. Snorkeling you have to rent equipment.

If you are looking for free things to do, consider going to The Hyatt (which is a much nicer place to stay anyway) and enjoy the torchlighting ceremony.

Weymouth...
Level Contributor
54 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton Kauai - Entertainment at resort for free?

It's hard to decipher their website starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/… and what I'm really looking for is what we shouldn't miss out on taking advantage of. "free" might not be the best term to use for this.

California
Level Contributor
37,611 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton Kauai - Entertainment at resort for free?

Well the Sheraton has a nice beach and a new restaurant called Rum Fire. So are you only looking for things to do around the hotel or are you interested in venturing out? I certainly hope so.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton Kauai - Entertainment at resort for free?

You will love the Sheraton. You'll have the best swimming beach in Poipu right at your doorstep. It's a nice lower-keyed resort. Pools are smaller but when you have that beach there it's not a deal breaker. You've made a good choice.

Also you'll have lots to do in walking distance from the Sheraton. You can walk to many restaurants and shops at both Poipu Shopping Village and Kukuiula Village.

Poipu Shopping Village has a free dance revue once or twice a week around 5:30. I believe it's Thursdays and possibly one other day. Check out the signs that they post for it along Poipu Road. The bar at the Sheraton used to have some entertainment and they probably still do. Free for the cost of some drinks only. Kukuiula has a Gourmet Farmers Market on Wednesdays. Close to free except for the purchase of some yummy things.

As far as a luau, yes, the Sheraton has a luau but it isn't free. The closest you'll get to that is the dance revue I described above which is very popular. As far as free snorkeling goes I know of no resort on Kauai that gives out equipment for free. You'll need to rent your own equipment and that can be done at Snorkel Bob's or at Nukumoi Surf Shop. Both are just down the street in opposite directions. From the Sheraton just walk down the beach to the area in front of the Marriott for snorkeling at Poipu Beach Park. The best snorkeling in Poipu is at the small beach next to the Beach House restaurant on Lawai Road, just a 5 minute drive from the hotel.

Perhaps you're thinking of all-inclusive type resorts which provide all of this? If so, you won't find all-inclusives in Hawaii. Jebett gave you a good recommendation for the torchlighting ceremony at the Hyatt. Again, free except for the cost of a couple of drinks if you want them.

Perhaps you're thinking of all-inclusive type resorts which provide all of this? If so, you won't find all-inclusives in Hawaii.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,939 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton Kauai - Entertainment at resort for free?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The Sheraton is a lovely mid-level resort - but its true "gem" is that it is set right on the best swimming beach here on the South Shore - lovely beach, the pool of the resort set right above it. I worked at the property for 5 years and thought it a great place for visitors to stay - and most people staying there seemed to agree!

There is no free show on property that I'm aware of (there used to be a torchlighting ceremony, but I don't believe that is currently performed) - and the lu'au is a paid affair (as are all commercial lu'au here on Kaua'i) - you have to pay for any water activities, and that would include renting snorkel gear. Noplace here has these things for free, but to rent snorkel gear is a very minimal fee indeed.

There is a great Tahitian dance show at the Po'ipu Shopping Center - which is easily walked to from the Sheraton. It is held on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5:30pm and is done by Urahutia Productions, who are well known for their Tahitian dance (they also do a dinner show at the Kaua'i Resort) and have won many awards.

As also mentioned, there is a free torchlighting ceremony and hula show at the Hyatt - which is less than 5 minutes away from the Sheraton. It is held at the Seaview Terrace there (right down from the lobby) at 6:30pm on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday evenings (the hula show is only on Tues/Fri nights however) - it is free and open to anyone, not just hotel guests. There is no obligation to buy drinks or pupus, but they are there if you would like to. Torchlighting is hula kahiko (ancient hula) and oli (chant) and lasts for about 15-20 minutes, followed on Tuesday and Saturday nights by an hour long hula show (7-8pm) done by young students of a local halau hula (hula school). They perform hula, Tahitian and Maori dances.

I'm sure you will find many great free and/or inexpensive things to enjoy here!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton Kauai - Entertainment at resort for free?

Janet, could you please suggest is the information on Tahitian dance show and torchlighting still the same (times, days, places etc) or did it change? This post was from 2012, is it still the same?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,939 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton Kauai - Entertainment at resort for free?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

As far as I am aware, nothing has changed with the Tahitian Dance Review at the Poʻipū Shopping Village - but do watch for the signs they put up the days of their shows, I am not 100% sure the days are the same.

Everything is the same as far as the torchlighting and keiki hula shows at the Grand Hyatt Kaua'i - same times and days and no cost (unless you want to purchase a drink or appetizers - but not required).

Malama Pono,

Janet

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton Kauai - Entertainment at resort for free?

Janet, thank you very much! My 11 years old daughter and me will stay at Marriott Lihue on August 6-9, hope to see some of those shows. Do they post days online somewhere so we can plan ahead?

California
Level Contributor
37,611 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheraton Kauai - Entertainment at resort for free?

Please don't post a question not related to an old post. Post a new one, because anyone who posted back in 2012 gets an email notification and then its confusing. Post it as a new question.

Chico, CA
Level Contributor
722 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sheraton Kauai - Entertainment at resort for free?

Jebett, thanks for replying, but this question is directly related to an old post (this thread was not listed as closed) and helps to put it up on a forum so other new readers can also benefit from this valuable information, and also helps destination experts who answer questions to simply confirm the info rather then type the whole answer all over again. However I understand your idea re notifications and I am grateful to you for answering some of my other questions and would be happy to post this question as a new thread.

Reply to: Sheraton Kauai - Entertainment at resort for free?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted