We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiahuna Plantation

Christina Lake...
Level Contributor
114 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Kiahuna Plantation

We travelled to Kauai last March stayed at Waipouli Resort and had a great time. This March we are thinking of maybe staying at Kiahuna Plantation- we do not want to drive as much as last year and are more interested in hanging out at the beach. Has anyone had any unpleasant experiences such as bugs or really poor condos in need of major updating?

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,904 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Kiahuna Plantation

Kiahuna is fantastic. I personally have never had a bad experience with bugs anywhere. Bugs, yes, but bad experiences, no. Expect some bugs. This is the tropics. They might sneak in and hover around any wet areas or if food is left out. That's expected. What you don't want is a true infestation of some sort of critter. Places like Kiahuna are first rate and spend a lot of time and money on abatement programs. You'll find it to be about as good as it's going to get (bug-wise) at a place like Kiahuna. They've got too much to lose to let a problem develop.

As far as worries about ending up in a less updated condo there......if you book through Outrigger, Castle, etc., you're going to be assigned by "view category". So you won't be able to pick a specific unit.

If you online to VRBO, or the like, you'll be able to look for an exact unit. Parrish Kauai has only a couple of units there but they're both nice and you can check on their availability.

At Kiahuna I wouldn't get too hung up on how upgraded the units might be. Kiahuna is a top notch place and the requirements placed on owners by Outrigger, Castle are pretty high. They've got a lot riding on the reputation of Kiahuna. They'll all be clean and comfortable. Some may be upgraded to the bells and whistles of granite countertops, etc., and some may not be. The 1-bedroom units are small and there's just not a lot of room for one to be incredibly different from another, when it comes to decor. To me, the more important thing at Kiahuna is location. Location of the unit within the building is important - end units have side windows and more cross-ventilation and top floors have better views. Oceanviews have a higher price tag but are worth it to some. Other folks are happy with paying less and getting a garden view unit overlooking the beautiful grounds and walkways. All a matter of personal priorities.

fen
Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
73 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kiahuna Plantation

We stayed in Unit 186 in November, having booked with the Parrish Collection. The whole experience was excellent. Parrish were professional and efficient and the property was first rate, immaculately clean and very well equipped. The slatted windows and ceiling fans worked perfectly to ventilate the place and the only living creature in the condo apart from us was one friendly gecko! Absolutely definitely worth having a place as close to the ocean as possible. The entire Kiahuna site was a delight, stunning, spacious gardens, gorgeous views, peace and quiet and simple but stylish accommodation. Wish I was there now!

California
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kiahuna Plantation

I have stayed there a few times and never had a bad experience,

I booked w/expedia. I am a clean freak and condos were always super clean

I booked Outrigger Kiahuna (not Castle)

there's a nice grass area by the beach so you don't have to always be on the sand, there's a shower to rinse off, beautiful grounds, laundry area, bbqs...

California
Level Contributor
37,036 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kiahuna Plantation

Reading over some reviews, it seems those units rented through Castle are not as kept up as others. Read the reviews and if a unit keeps popping up that gets high marks then find out how they rented it. Bugs are everywhere but you do deserve a clean unit and one that is kept up and wasn't decorated in 1976.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kiahuna Plantation

Kiahuna is a very large complex with beautiful grounds -- lots of tropical gardens, koi ponds, etc. And it is one of the very few condo complexes on a good beach. There is a pool but it is located in kind of a peculiar location across the main road and down the street from Kiahuna -- not very handy. The only reason we do not stay there is the oceanfront units are more pricey than some other places, and the view is an important aspect to us. If you do decide to stay there, I would recommend that you either work with an owner or an on-island management company that will guarantee a specific unit so you know what you are getting. Ask very specific questions and don't settle for a generic "beach view" that could be taken a block away from your rental. Also ask for information on when upgrades were made including dates.

Seattle Washington
Level Contributor
812 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kiahuna Plantation

Have to agree with Kimocat on the Kiahuna. All The condo's are indepently owned and they do vary quite a bit. It seems to me that some are just rented year round and can be outdated, while others are very well equipped and extremely comfortable.

We have always rented through owners we have met through the years and have been very happy. Also Outrigger is a first class act and will move you if you are not satisfied....Space permitting.

Make specific requests ahead of time!!!!

Also check the discounts. We got an amazing discount for a lovely ocean front for March 2010.

Sally

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,483 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kiahuna Plantation

Before booking Kiahuna, check out Poipu Kapili (I like it because it is smaller) or the Marriott Waiohai, it is fairly new.

wizardpub.com/kauai/krmarriottwaiohai.html

http://www.poipukapili.com/

Edited: 5:50 pm, December 29, 2009
las vegas
Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kiahuna Plantation

just returned sunday 3/7/10. my visit at the kiahuna plantation was wonderful. stayed in unit 122 which was much much more than i expected. the grounds are very well maintained and orchid garden a must see.

California
Level Contributor
9,640 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kiahuna Plantation

Ditto everything Napaguy said. We stay at Kiahuna every year and rent through the owners. Check out www.kiahunaowners.net/index.htm

We have stayed at #168 and #134 and have been happy with both. However, 168 where we're staying this year has a newly remodeled bathroom AND a new washer and dryer.

Just can't beat that 2 minute walk to the beach!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kiahuna Plantation

Last night we were at a friends place at Kiahuna Platation....we have been on the grounds before, and at the restaurant, and wandered about the orchid garden, and along the beach....but never in one of the units, until yesterday.

Really very, very nice, and the view of the ocean and beach was right at their doorstep. Slider open, tradewinds blowing, and great lanai furniture for sitting and relaxing.

We bbq's and shared the large bbq's with other visitors, and talked story with them as the sun set. People were out on their lanais, all happy and smiling, and plenty of good vibes.

Wonerful grounds and landscaping, and honestly, it felt really good.

Won't add too much more, but Kiahuna is a great place to stay and enjoy.

Denny