We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coco Palms resort

Which Koloa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Wisconsin
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Coco Palms resort

We soon will be visiting Kauai. Can anyone go and see the Coco Palms resort, or is it just available for tours. And if one can see it, where is it located?

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,305 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Coco Palms resort

Coco Palms is no more. The old hotel was ripped up by a huricane about 16 years ago. There are supposedly plans to build condos on the location. It's located inland from Wailua Bay. (There is a pretty road that follows the river up there beside what used to be Coco Palms. ) You might see photos of it at the museum on Rice Street in Lihue.

high desert
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Coco Palms resort

Isn't the coco palms right across the street from the Wailua Bayview condos? If so, I can see it right now. I know there's a sign that says "Coco Palms" and yeah.... it's destroyed and abandoned. But I wanted to see if there was a way to get in to peek around the "grounds" even tho it is no more. There's a chain link fence that surrounds the side that is by the road but I haven't walked across the street to see if it is surround by chain link and a way in. yet.....

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coco Palms resort

Grammy,

From the outside, the old coco palms is a delapidated derelict, and totally depressing. I do know that the movie tour people do stop by there,and go inside of , mayby the old loby area.

We also understand that the old coco palms was very near and dear to many, many visitors. If it were us, I think I would want to keep that old memory, and not tour what the hurricane and neglect has now left us with. Our feelings only, others will have different thoughts.

It is located on Kuamoo Rd., at the traffic light, just north of the wailua river, and , as mentioned, across from the wailua bayview hotel.

You know, we have some very beautiful sites to see, and things to do in that area: Photo ops at Opeakea Falls, or kayak up the wailua river, take the right fork, eddy out , tie up, and hike to secret falls.

Also, a very pleasant hike ( walk ) is a bit futher up Kuamoo road, on the right. Kuilau Ridge trail....easy stuff...and about a mile to a wonderful view, and picnic tables.

Or check on the times that the Hindu Temple is open for their tour.

Or of course, do spend your time checking out what is left of coco palms. And if you are patient, the rumour is that it is going to be all re done and sparkly new in 2009. That gives some good vibes to those who loved it, back in the day.

Denny

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coco Palms resort

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Coco Palms, as has been mentioned -- is closed, has been closed since Iniki. If you are with the Kaua'i Movie Tours, they will take you into the grounds to see the lagoon where Elvis did the famous wedding scene from "Blue Hawai'i".

Uncle Larry Rivera, who was the headliner at the hotel for over 40 years, still conducts "Blue Hawai'i" weddings on the lagoon as well.

There is another thread on this board about a new Coco Palms book -- it also has lots of information about the proposed new Coco Palms and you might enjoy reading that.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
72 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coco Palms resort

We drove by the remains of Coco Palms today; sign still there, building needs to be torn down as it is in shambles. We were at the Coconut Plantation shopping center toinght and there was an office there that said sales office for Coco Palms; it was late and office closed so could get no info. We could see inside a model of what we assume to be the new Coco Palms; it looks as if it is going to be condos as there were several buildings. We were lucky enough to visit the Coco Palms before Inka hit and it was an enjyable experience. Think the new buildings will be the Coco Palms in name only as model looks nothing like the original. Kauai is still a beautiful place to visit; may be my favorite as Maui is getting very commercial and very busy; still we had fun there last week..

Aloha, Sue from KY

Connecticut
Level Contributor
561 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coco Palms resort

In 2004, we visited Coco Palms on the Kauai movie tour. They took us inside to stand at the bar and have a picture taken and also stand by the lagoon. You are correct though, the grounds are really derelict. It is only a shadow of its former self.

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coco Palms resort

Also visited Coco Palms in 2004 on the movie tour. We walked through the old lounge/dining area and viewed the lagoon. It's a slum. It is really not much to see, and I for sure wouldn't recommend ruining a great day in Kauai trapped on the movie tour van just to see Coco Palms Resort.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coco Palms resort

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The sales office at Coconut Marketplace is the site for information on the "New" Coco Palms -- which will be absolutely nothing like the old one.

Prices start at over a million dollars I believe for these proposed condos -- lots of them have been sold and they haven't even torn down the old buildings yet! Unbeleivable! It boggles the mind -- it will be just one more "millionaires - or more likely, billionaires" retreat for the island.

I think they are still hassling over some permits for the "spa" building that they are trying to build over by the old tennis courts.

Even though it is truly sad to see such a grand old lady so derelict and deserted -- I will be even sadder on the day when they tear it down -- not even a vestige left of the former property.

I highly recommend anyone who loves the old Coco Palms to purchase David Penhallow's new book on the property -- it is a picture-book of the property from the first days all the way up to the end with tons of articles and anecdotes from former employees, etc. A great memory of the old place.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coco Palms resort

http://www.coco-palms.com/

This site has news and history about Coco Palms.

http://www.cocopalms.com/

This is the site for the new company rebuilding.

I hope they stick to their promises of the hotel part being as close to the original as possible. I still remember the torch lighter and the waiters feeding the fish. This resort is one of the few things I vividly remember from my early trips to the islands as a kid. I took my wife there 5 yeas ago and showed her the grounds and we met a longtime employee and singer at Coco Palms. He performed a wedding vow renewal for us at Hauola at the Lydgate State Park just down the road.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,324 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Coco Palms resort

Any future redevelopment of the Coco Palms, will be exceptionally similar to the original facility (virtually just an extreme modernization)....

The County demands it be such. All new construction will be almost entirely within the "building envelopes" of the original structures. The internal canals (wetlands), coconut grove, setbacks, parking areas, etc. cannot be changed.

The Owners want it that way. The biggest marketing "hook" they have for the property is the legendary ambience of the name and grounds.