We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Hyatt Crowded in August?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
42 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Hyatt Crowded in August?

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Hyatt Kauai last May before the big crowds of summer were there... we are thinking of going again this year..possibly near the end of August..does anyone know if this too is a good time to go as far as less crowds go? Or should we wait till later in the fall?

British Columbia
Level Contributor
14 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Grand Hyatt Crowded in August?

We spent the month of August on Kauai two years ago. We stayed at the Poipu Sands which was right next door to the Hyatt and spent a lot of time wandering the grounds in that area and going to Shipwreck Beach just in front of the Hyatt. We never found it to be crowded in August and especially noticed that the last week of August/beginning of September seemed to be less crowded - we assumed parents with children were heading back to get ready for school then.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Grand Hyatt Crowded in August?

I agree about August being very busy (Koloagirl would know best). We stayed for two weeks last summer and we could not get into any of our favorite restaurants! We are leaving in 8 days for another 3 week trip and I've already made dinner reservations at our favorite spots.

We personally like Dondero's. You can eat on the patio and enjoy the garden view. You can see the ocean from that vantage point. Tidepools is good but the last time we went (last summer), the food was OK. It is a very fun location and the kids love to watch the hundreds of Koi swiming around but I think we will skip it this trip. We also love Stevenson's library but in recent years, they have added live music on some evenings so it is not the quiet, intimate place we love to visit.

Because of the crowds during the times school is out, we have chosen to make a second trip this year in early December. Since my husband has business on the island quarterly, we cannot avoid June. We look forward to going when it is a lot less crowded.

So if you can avoid it, come when the kids are back in school. You'll have a much better time.

Also, the luau at the Hyatt is too "Las Vegas." Take the time and drive to Smith's if you want to see a luau with good entertainment and great food. We loved it. (I'm pretty sure the same dance company does The Hyatt, The Sheraton and Gaylord's luau. Smith's has their own dance company.)

a side note: my brother-in-law loved the food at Smith's so much (especially the Lau Lau), he insisted we go back there a second time, just for the food!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,957 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Grand Hyatt Crowded in August?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yep, August is very busy -- but then the Hyatt pretty much stays busy all year long -- I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone to work and there was anything below a 80% occupancy.

And the Hyatt's lu'au is done by a company that is produced by Tihati Productions out of Honolulu -- the Sheraton is done by a Kaua'i company -- Gaylord's is also I believe a Tihati production.

Tihati also does the one at Resortquest Makaiwa.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Grand Hyatt Crowded in August?

Koloagirl,

We took my mother to the Sheraton luau last June and I was a bit disappointed. It was the same MC as I've seen at the other 3 places. And the metalic shiny "grass" skirts were a bit too much. Not very Hawaiian at all. We went to Smith's a while back but I remembered liking the entertainment and food. I think we will skip the luau scene this time around but I agree that Smith's is the one to recommend.

BTW, what do you do at the Hyatt (can you say)? We visit the Hyatt often for dinner, pupus, cocktails, torch lighting ceremnony, and my sons' favorite, the Bird Talk. They love Duke! My oldest has been visiting Duke for several years now and loves the opportunity to "hold" (arm perch) a bird everytime we come. I'm counting the days!

Also, if we hae to stay in a hotel, we always stay at the Hyatt. We really love it there (except when a convention is in town, another story).

Maholo for your posts. They have been very helpful.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,957 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Grand Hyatt Crowded in August?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

If you went to the torchlighting ceremony at the Hyatt, then you saw me!

I work as the narrator for the 3-times a week torchlighting ceremony with Leilani Rivera Bond.

And yes, I totally agree about the "Hollywood Hula" aspect to the shows at the Hyatt and the Sheraton -- some folks like it I'm sure, but in my opinion the best one would have to be Smith's!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Grand Hyatt Crowded in August?

We have not been since last June. We will be visiting again next in 8 days! See you there!

17. Re: Grand Hyatt Crowded in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, September 03, 2009