We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kilauea Falls Open?

Which Kilauea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Kilauea Falls Open?

Does anybody know the current status for the hike to Kilauea Falls? Is it still unavailable due to construction? Thanks in advance.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
264 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Kilauea Falls Open?

Milkmaker, you are missing my point. Unfortunately several posts I made after the original one were deleted by the thought police here on TA. In fact this one will probably disappear shortly.

I'm not advocating trespassing on private property. What I am advocating against is blindly accepting all claims of private property, especially those that involve access to sites that are popular with visitors. There are many places on Kauai where residents have tried to discourage visitors by making false claims to private property. This can involve parking areas, coastal access or poorly-marked public access to hiking areas. Some here on TA feel that any claim to private property should be treated as sacred; I feel that those that are questionable should be challenged. Just look at what is going on with North Shore coastal access and the high-water mark.

As for the repeated insistence that people enjoy what is available to them, take a look at the waterfall situation. Most of the swimmable falls are not available to visitors. The one that is clearly available is grossly overcrowded and undeniably popular. If the State can't make these obvious attractions available to visitors they will stop coming. Every time a great site goes off limits the appeal of the island goes down. My feeling is that the State should make keeping access open a priority.

BTW this is an ancient post...

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,370 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Kilauea Falls Open?

>> There are many places on Kauai where residents have tried to discourage visitors by making false claims to private property. <<

Please name some.

>> Most of the swimmable falls are not available to visitors <<

Life is rough. Most here do not recommend swimming in fresh water anyway, as there's a danger of contracting Leptospirosis, or swimming under waterfalls, as there's a danger of something coming down on your head. People have been killed.

>> If the State can't make these obvious attractions available to visitors they will stop coming. Every time a great site goes off limits the appeal of the island goes down. My feeling is that the State should make keeping access open a priority.<<

Do you really believe that the state be able to dictate who can come onto private property? Ever heard the phrase "police state?" And why should property owners be forced to bear the costs of insurance which may not protect them anyway, the way things work these days?

I think it's highly unlikely that the majority of visitors will stop coming for the sake of a few off-limits places. I guarantee you that, by far, the majority of visitors don't even know that Kilauea Falls exists. As far as the state keeping access open: They don't want the liability, either. Unfortunately, a particular guidebook has long advocated trespassing, which has increased the problem and caused some of the closures. Suppose someone dies on the private property. Is the owner liable? Probably. Ever hear the phrase "attractive nuisance?"

Would you dare to come here and argue with me about ownership of my property? I hope no more than I'd do the same to you. This is not Disneyland. Real people live and work here. Have a little respect.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Kilauea Falls Open?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Brava "pzp"!!

Tired of people who think the "best stuff" is on private land and therefore they are entitled to have access - "This is not Disneyland. Real people live and work here." - ʻoia.ʻiʻo!!

Malama Pono,

Janet

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,370 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Kilauea Falls Open?

Mahalo nui, e Janet.