We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropical Dreams

Which Kilauea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
35,295 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Tropical Dreams

This is just a reminder about a great ice cream place in Kilauea on the way to the Lighthouse. If you want to try unusual flavors like Ginger Cream, this is the place to go.

Dan, the owner, is a kick and you should enjoy his story about the history of this ice cream. He certainly appreciates visitors letting him know you heard about his business from TA. I got my fix today.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,958 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropical Dreams

Good to know he's still there. He was making noises about selling his home last fall and I haven't heard him mentioned lately. Thanks jbett.

Louisville
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropical Dreams

We were there in Sept 09 and it is the best ice cream I have ever had. Everyone needs to stop there for a great ice cream, relax and enjoy Kauai. His stories are entertaining as well.

Is it still called Kilauea Video and Candy Store or did the name change to Tropical Dreams ?

Must admit it would be difficult to sale the best ice cream at a video store, but it is the best.

Edited: 6:46 pm, May 19, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropical Dreams

Still waiting////went by Sunday at 2 pm///not open until 3 pm///missed it again!!!

California
Level Contributor
35,295 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropical Dreams

He usually opens at 1 unless he has a pick up at the harbor which might have been why he was late.

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,753 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropical Dreams

So jebett tells the guy she'll plug him on TA, readers say they heard about him on TA and buy ice cream, and jebett gets another "fix" next time she goes back. Way better than a buy-10-get-1-free card. Why didn't I think of that!

:-) :-) :-)

California
Level Contributor
35,295 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropical Dreams

May I add I have NEVER gotten a free scoop. Yes I will plug him because his ice cream is very good and there was a recent thread that he was closing.

I can't help it if I'm an ice cream junkie! I got a Lappert's fix too! Is there such a thing as Ice Cream Rehab?

Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropical Dreams

Are you guys sure it's his ice cream and not something he just sells there? "Tropical Dreams Ice Cream" is a registered product and trade name, it has been established in Hawi here on the Big Island a long long long time ago. The best ice cream I ever had, we drive up there from Kona at least once a month for probably 15 years just to eat ice cream! It is also sold in top restaurants on the Big Island.

California
Level Contributor
35,295 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tropical Dreams

It is the same one, Tropicallytropical. He buys it from the lady on The BI. He is the only one off The BI licensed to distribute it.

What is your favorite flavor??????

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tropical Dreams

Alright! Ginger Cream ice cream in Kilauea. All I needed was an excuse to return to Hawaii. Now, who's got the best airfare deal? Can I pass as an infant if I just act childish?

California
Level Contributor
35,295 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tropical Dreams

(Can I pass as an infant if I just act childish?)

It works for Caddy, so it might work for you!