We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help an Aussie please

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Help an Aussie please

My Husband and I are flying in from down under (Australia) in February and I am going nuts trying to work out where to stay for the five night while we are in Kauai. Should we stay the whole 5 nights in one place ? or split it up ? The problem is that the aussie $ dies against the US$, so everything is also a min of 25 - 30% dearer. Suggestions for areas to stay for the best value.Do you get the best prices direct with hotel or off the web? I am thinking that the B&B will be all we can afford. We do not need to be on the beach as we live on the Gold Coast and Australia does have some of the best beaches in the world. I am a huge fan of Trip advisor and love to read everyone's experiences.

Fremantle, Western...
Level Contributor
681 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help an Aussie please

We have just come back. We were there for 4 nights, but we could have been there for much longer.

We stayed at the Outrigger Lae Nani in Kapaa. We booked directly with the hotel, online.

We loved it there. The condos were nice and big, and well equipped. We did find it hard, without aircon. There were ceiling fans.

I think we may have copped some unusually muggy days, as some of the locals mentioned it was on the hot side.

Prescott Valley...
Level Contributor
270 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help an Aussie please

My wife and I stayed at a nice condo in March '05 on the south shore (good place to be in winter, calmer waves and weather) called Prince Kuhio, with lovley gardens and a pool. It was a 1 Bdrm 1 bath condo with full kitchen and a partial oceanview (filtered, thru palm trees), and cost about $140 (US) a night, plus cleaning fee of $85. You might try an on-line search for those condos and see about availability. I believe they also had some studios (large hotel room) units at lower pricing, too (check VRBO.com, too).

Prince Kuhio condos are on the road to "Spouting Horn, about 5 min. drive from Poipu Beach Park (to the east) & the little town of Koloa (northeast). The location was excellant; across the street from a great restaurant (The Beach House, had a great sunset dinner, but $$!) and beach (Lawai), a small beach with excellant snorkeling at reef just offshore about 125 ft. (saw lots of different colorful tropical fish). As an added bonus, my wife saw humpback whales splashing about offshore while reading her book at Lawai beach one afternoon!

As for the Kapaa area, I'd say go with Kauai Coast Resort or Lae Nani (in that order, we loved KCR), if available. I agree with others that south shore would be best for that time of year, and just drive to north shore as desired (90-110 min. drive to Ke'e beach, the end-of-the-road!).

Good Luck and enjoy your trip to paradise... ALOHA.

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,415 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Help an Aussie please

For good deals on hire cars, not from shonky operators either, try traveljigsaw.com.au

Prices are all inclusive of insurances, which can be confusing, charges, taxes, and are quoted in Australian dollars.

We've used TJ for the US mainland and similar operators for the Big Island, never had a problem.

14. Re: Help an Aussie please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:23 am, August 27, 2009
Follow this conversation!
Get notified when a new reply comes in.
Follow now