We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A must do activity while in Kapaa?

Salem, Oregon
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
A must do activity while in Kapaa?

Hello everyone!

I'm heading to Kapaa in July and am looking to spend most of my time just laying on the beach and, well, being lazy. Yay for laziness!!!

But assuming I want to get out and about, what is something I really should do/see?

As a side note, please be aware I do not have a car.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,547 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A must do activity while in Kapaa?

One - you need a car for Kauai - really.

The best beaches in the summer are on the northshore - most of the beaches in Kapaa aren't swimmable.

Lots to do and see - but you really have to have a car or change your plans to Oahu, where there is good public transportation. :)

Salem, Oregon
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: A must do activity while in Kapaa?

Okay, if I got a car than what do I do?

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: A must do activity while in Kapaa?

Have you done any reading or research on what there is to see and do on Kauai? I would hope so because otherwise how did you pick Kauai as a place to visit.

You want to focus on just relaxing on the beach but unless you get a car you've chosen an area that doesn't have the beaches you probably want. How did you pick Kapaa?

You need to do some research with a good guidebook or just reading the many threads on this forum that already contain all the information you might need. Start by looking at the Top Questions About Kauai section. This section contains the most common questions and compiles past threads that answer that question.

Your question "if I got a car than what do I do" is way too broad and people are inclined to not respond to questions like that. That what guidebooks are there for. Do some research and get back with specific questions.

California
Level Contributor
9,586 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A must do activity while in Kapaa?

Do the beachside bike ride, have fish tacos at Monico's, and, yes, rent a car to see the island.

LA
Level Contributor
10,038 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: A must do activity while in Kapaa?

How did you end up deciding to stay in Kapaa without having any idea of what you would do on Kauai?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,722 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A must do activity while in Kapaa?

Get a copy of "Ultimate Kaua`i Revealed" and/or "Kaua`i Underground Guide" to help you narrow down your questions.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,547 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A must do activity while in Kapaa?

Kapaa has some good little shops and restaurants - that is what I do in Kapaa.

Then I would explore the incredible Waimea Canyon and Kokee state park, I would do a boat trip down the Napali coast from Hanalei, and I would drive everywhere checking out the sites. :)

California
Level Contributor
36,730 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A must do activity while in Kapaa?

The beaches aren't great in Kapaa. When I was there a few months ago half were eroded and you can't swim there.

You will be doing a lot of driving to get out of Kapaa. The top beach spots will be about an hour away.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,722 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A must do activity while in Kapaa?

Kealia Beach is only a few minutes up the road. Anini is about 45 minutes. Lydgate is a few minutes' drive south.

Salem, Oregon
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: A must do activity while in Kapaa?

pzp, as a local (judging by your location and your knowledge of the area) what's your favorite local restaurant within the area? :)

Edited: 11:39 pm, January 15, 2013