We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Shore vs East Shore in March

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Topic
North Shore vs East Shore in March

Going to Kauai at end of March and trying to figure out where to stay. We are close to pulling the trigger on a week at Hanalei Bay Resort (unit 5708 I believe) but recently stumbled across a room at Waipouli in Kapaa. The prices are almost identical so that is not a factor in deciding. I feel my main obstacles to booking the HBR unit is the time of year (will it still be too rough to enjoy the north shore beaches/snorkeling) and less of a direct beachfront location. I'm still leaning toward the north shore but just can't cross this other one off my list as the room seems VERY nice and new and I like how the resort sits right on the beach. The location around the resort doesnt excite me too much though. Help!

California
Level Contributor
37,645 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Shore vs East Shore in March

I own at HBR and there is no 5708. I know 5208 and 5207. It might be rough to snorkel during March (maybe at Anini) but at WBR you can't snorkel there either. You can't even swim. Either place you will be driving to a snorkel spot. HBR is located on a bluff above the bay at Hanalei. The views are beautiful but not from that unit. You look out to the small pool and mountains. Do you know which unit at WBR you are getting? Some have views of the parking lot and run down apt next door. You mention the location around the resort doesn't excite you? Do you mean the area around Hanalei Bay Resort or WBR? WBR is located in Kapaa and there's a strip mall with Safeway the anchor store across the street. Its a busy area with a lot of traffic, but also has some cute stores and restaurants. HBR is in at the end of a residential area of Princeville which is surrounded by a golf course and the bay. St Regis Hotel is next door. Hanalei Town is 8 minutes down the hill and Hanalei Bay is right there.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: North Shore vs East Shore in March

Waipouli Beach resort might sit right on the beach but it isn't much of a beach. If you stay there you'll be hopping in the car to find a nice beach just as you might at HBR. The area surrounding Waipouli is nothing to write home about.

Yes, the north shore beaches could still be rough in March. If you stay at Waipouli you'll be closer to driving to all parts of the island and taking your pick of what direction you want to head to each day.

If your goal is to be sitting directly on a good swimming beach in March then neither of these are the best possible choice.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: North Shore vs East Shore in March

The unit is 5207, got that mixed up somehow. And yes the area around WBR didn't excite me. The goal is not necessarily to be sitting on a good swimming beach. Just wanted a good beach on site. Really liked the grounds of HBR, but if there is good alternative for this time of year, I'd love to hear it. I know Poi'pu has good weather/beaches but it just seemed to similar to Maui and I kind of was looking for a different experience from my last trip (Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas in Maui).

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: North Shore vs East Shore in March

Re: HBR...Was also looking at units 4222 and 7102. Really liked the interior of 5207 but the view was less awesome. Still nice (it seems) though.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: North Shore vs East Shore in March

Poipu is not Maui, especially the Kaanapali area where you stayed. Kaanapali is a long row of resorts lining the beach neck-in-neck, 100% resorts, Miami Beach style in my opinion. Poipu is a mix of condos and homes , residential neighborhoods ( yes, locals live there), and 4 hotels total ( and no highrises). Far less busy, commercialized and developed than Kaanapali. Diehard Maui lovers claim boredom there. Locals would cringe at the comparison.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North Shore vs East Shore in March

I have stayed at both of these properties and agree with both of the above posts. You will still have to drive to a "swimmable beach" if you stay at either. The beach in front of WBR is nice to look at, especially if you are at the restaurant which is now called Oasis, but to play on, it was our least favorite. The beach had a lot of debris to me compared to any other, little rocks and the ocean there is rocky- it is good to just walk along and stare at on a lounge chair but that's it. The beach below HBR which you can get a golf cart ride down too (which was so fun for my kids), is very scenic with views of Bali Hai but it's also very rocky and my kids didn't want to swim in it. We saw some people swimming and trying to snorkle there but not many. A great beach to just stare at and watch the sunset.

WBR will be more convenient for restaurants and shopping and if you plan to visit the south shore and Waimea Canyon. If you have kids and if you have a unit facing the pool and/or ocean, I'd pick WBR. My kids LOVED the pool there and the waterslides. If your main goal is to have an awesome view of Bali Hai, than I'd pick HBR, but be aware that dining/ restaurants are more limited up north and there is no restaurant at HBR right now. We stayed northshore in July and had rain almost each night except for one but in the morning it cleared and was sunny. One day, we had rain during the day while at the beach and had to pack up because it wouldn't let up but only 1 day. Being north put you close to awesome beaches up there (our favorites are Hideaways, Lumahai & Tunnels) but I have not been in March, only summer so you need to factor that in too.

What unit at WBR? get an even number unit which will give you a pool and or ocean view.

HBR? must get one with a Bali Hai view, that view is awesome.

good luck!

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: North Shore vs East Shore in March

I realize Poipu is not Maui...my analogy was more in regards to the weather and water conditions. West Maui although beautiful, seemed arid in comparison to pics I've seen of the Princeville/Hanalei area. Poipu seemed to be more in line with Maui when looking at those conditions. The commercialization of Maui is one of the main reasons we are heading to Kauai for this trip.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North Shore vs East Shore in March

if you really want something different, rent a house in Hanalei, but for March not sure about the weather. :) I hear ya, we feel the same, our Maui trip last year, stayed at Honua Kai which is next to the Westin Villas there, nice also but Kauai is soo different. I like Maui, I love Kauai!

If you are considering east, and look at Lae Nani and find a remodeled unit or Hale Awapuhi (Rosewood has many of these rentals)- we LOVED this area on Papaloa Cove! It will have you in the middle for sight seeing & dining, there's a protected ocean rock cove which my kids loved, the views are great here too with the coconut coast, mountains and the cove... it will definitely be different than the Maui Westin Villas!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: North Shore vs East Shore in March

Yes, weather-wise Poipu would be more like West Maui weather. So if you do want a different weather experience then definitely head north. Even the east shore has more rainfall

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,709 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North Shore vs East Shore in March

There is no similarity between Poipu and Ka'anapali, the comparison between Ka'anapali and Kapa'a might be more apt, but still different.

If my choice were between HBR and Kapa'a, HBR would win every time.

But I don't like the isolated feel of Princeville, which I think of as mostly being a golf resort. We like being on the beach and walking to shops and restaurants without a lot of busyness. That is how Poipu feels to us.