We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car break ins?

Orange, California
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Car break ins?

What about of car break-ins? When we travel out of the country it is usually recomended to not leave any valuables (duh) and to leave the car unlocked, window down.....to deter break ins.

Any such problems in kauai?

Cory

Pa
Level Contributor
165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
31. Re: Car break ins?

I've been to a lot of different islands hiking and every place is the same. So the car break-ins on Kauai are no different then on St.John in the Caribbean. You just need to use your head. Don't let this ruin your vacation!! =) It's really not that big of a deal.....just be smart.

seattle wa
1 post
Save Reply
32. Re: Car break ins?

I specifically asked the car rental attendant on Kaua'i how many rental car breakins a month and he told me that during peak seasons, there are an average of 500 breakins per month. He then pointed over at a soft-top Mustang with its roof, completely slit open. Words of wisdom do not rent convertible soft-tops in Hawai'i.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
38,920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Car break ins?

All islands are not the same ... because all local cultures are not the same.

The whole leave the windows down thing always gets me. The idea that this matters is predicated on the idea that the thief would rather not break a window if not necessary. YOU are the one who cares, not the thief. Thieves will even break windows when the doors are unlocked.

The car contract says that you are responsible to any damage to the vehicle if you don't lock and secure it, so why would you leave it unlocked?

I have a question. Do rental cars come with alarm systems now? If so, always alarm your car. No thief wants to hang out around a car with the alarm going off.

I don't do the ultra clean car thing. I have all sorts of crap in my car ... towels and plastic bags and empty stuff, such that a cursory look establishes that there's nothing but crap in it. My goal is to have it read -- nothing to hide.

You know what I think when I see a car with not one visible item in it? I think that everything must be in the trunk, as nobody travels around sightseeing without any stuff at all.

California
Level Contributor
37,645 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Car break ins?

I'm sorry but I am having a tough time believing that one rental agency on little Kauai has 500 break ins per month. I have NEVER known one friend, guest or family member who's car was broken into. I did know someone who was friend's of a friend who had the soft top slashed but didn't take a thing. It was more vandalism. If there were 500 break ins and damage was done there wouldn't be any cars left on the lot!!!!!!

What agency was that? I'll be at Alamo in a few days and I will ask.

California
Level Contributor
37,645 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Car break ins?

This is the reply from one manager of a Kauai car rental Company that was privately messaged to me:

Rental Cars are vandalized periodically but not as much as 500 per month as I read on TA. Through our experience, major areas are Polihale, Kipu Falls, Loop Road, Larsons Beach, and Kee Beach. FYI ((((( again through our experience, no vandalism has been reported from those who leave their windows down and doors unlocked although it can happen and may have happened with another agency))))))). Some of these incidents go unknown to the public as customers chose to handle any damage or loss of personal effects on their own without the police knowing.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Car break ins?

Good job, jebett.

This was on the Big Island, but at one place there were kids doing smash and grab riding mopeds. They would go down the line of parked cars at a trailhead, break the window, grab.

In cases like that, they don't bother to check to see if the doors are unlocked. Maybe they would not smash a window if it were rolled down.

The problem with rolling down windows is that you then have a bigger chance of having someone ransack your car.

There are thieves who only go after unlocked cars (crimes of opportunity and no vandalism), and there are the vandals, and then there are the pros. I don't believe that any one tactic works against all types. I lock my car and alarm it, so that it will only be ransacked if a thief thinks it is safe to actually break in.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,134 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Car break ins?

I suspect that having left your car windows down would void your insurance in case of theft.

California
Level Contributor
37,645 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Car break ins?

I think that is the reason people don't let the police or rental agency know something was stolen if the window was down. At least nothing would be damaged on the car like broken glass which is the only reason the agency would be upset. If you had a pair of dark glasses in the consol and you left your window down and someone grabbed them, you aren't going to tell the rental car company are you? Now if you left those Ray Ban's on the dash, rolled up the windows and locked the doors, parked at a dark and isolated spot and someone smashed the windows, thats a different sob story.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
39. Re: Car break ins?

I think many times people don't report break-ins because they occurred in places where they knew they probably should not have taken the rental car.

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Car break ins?

I suspect that posts 37, 38, and 39 make a good deal of sense.

I had some glasses stolen, for real, from my own car (in Hilo), which was unlocked in my driveway. We did have the police come, because our space had been violated.

However, as far a claim went, personal contents are not covered by auto insurance, so no need to report. They are covered by homeowners' insurance, but our deductible was $1000 and we were advised that each claim against homeowners' can make it difficult to obtain insurance in the future -- so one needs to think hard about the worth of filing claims.

There is really no point to reporting a car break-in to the police, other than if you had the car secured and glass was broken or suchlike, in order to get that covered by the auto agency. Then if your car was off road and in violation of contract, also no point reporting.

Anyone who thinks the police will RECOVER what was stolen needs to reprogram their logic chip in brain to conform with reality.