We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Regis vs Hyatt for Dec5-Dec12 Hooneymoon?

Fort Worth, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
St Regis vs Hyatt for Dec5-Dec12 Hooneymoon?

I am planning our honeymoon and wondering where we should stay, i see that the Hyatt will be renovating however I have also heard that Hyatt is dryer and wamer during that time of year. Help please??

California
Level Contributor
36,729 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Regis vs Hyatt for Dec5-Dec12 Hooneymoon?

Split your stay.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,722 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Regis vs Hyatt for Dec5-Dec12 Hooneymoon?

Will you be traveling on the 5th and 12th? That would give you 7 nights. You could easily stay 4 nights at one place and 3 at the other. In general, the south shore (Hyatt) will be warmer and drier in December. The north shore (St. Regis) is lush and green, and looks like people's image of a tropical island. The weather in the north can be iffy in December, but by staying up there for a bit you'll have easy access to explore north shore sights. Staying south gives you easy access to south and west side sights.

You may want to post your question on the overall Kaua`i board, too.

Edited: 12:53 am, July 02, 2010
Fort Worth, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St Regis vs Hyatt for Dec5-Dec12 Hooneymoon?

OH sorry we will only be in Kauai for 4 nights.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,472 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Regis vs Hyatt for Dec5-Dec12 Hooneymoon?

Hyatt is your better option as between these two. Without discounting the Hyatt's inherent worth, take a look at the Koa Kea. It is a lovely, romantic boutique hotel on a great stretch of Poipu Beach. Not the mega resort but would be wonderful for a honeymoon, IMO. Also houses one of the best restaurants on the island.

California
Level Contributor
36,729 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Regis vs Hyatt for Dec5-Dec12 Hooneymoon?

Well, if only 4 days then Hyatt or Koa Kea for a better shot of sunshine. The first two weeks of December are the quietest on the island in my opinion. Sllllooowwwww!!!! is the word. You should grab some super deals. Weather might be gorgeous or could be rainy all over the entire island. I was on Kauai last December on the North Shore around Dec 9th and it was some of the best weather I had ever experienced. Cooler at night and the ocean was getting chilly, but just perfect for me. Two years ago Martik was there late Nov to early Dec and I remember it rained on her constantly on the South Shore. So stay at a place you will enjoy no matter what the weather brings. If it rains where you are it probably isn't raining somewhere else on the island.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: St Regis vs Hyatt for Dec5-Dec12 Hooneymoon?

Only 4 nights? Then the south shore. Your odds of having the better weather there are much, much better. Again, no guarantees on what the weather will be but the actual statistics lean to the south shore in December. I agree with others - check out Koa Kea too.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: St Regis vs Hyatt for Dec5-Dec12 Hooneymoon?

Also, I see you made another duplicate posting on this but you asked another question about being able to swim in December. You'll be able to swim and snorkel on the south shore in December. The north shore beaches will be much more limited to places like Anini and Ke'e. You might be swimming in the rain though.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,722 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Regis vs Hyatt for Dec5-Dec12 Hooneymoon?

Napa, I suggested the other posting to the overall Kaua`i board, as I felt that the OP would get more input.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: St Regis vs Hyatt for Dec5-Dec12 Hooneymoon?

pzp, I guess it's how you open up your Hawaii forums. I just click on the overall Kauai forum and everything for Kauai comes up, regardless of which sub-forum the poster wrote their post on. So doing it that way, they showed up together, neck in neck, on the same page.

On that note I've always thought it would be simpler if there weren't so many sub-forums for each town on Kauai. I'd guess the overwhelming majority of people just click on 'Kauai', when selecting a forum and don't find the need to further delineate between cities on Kauai. Just a thought, TA.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,010 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St Regis vs Hyatt for Dec5-Dec12 Hooneymoon?

9 times out of 10, I advocate for the south and probably would this time too, but I would also ask what are you looking for and looking to do and what is important to you on your honeymoon?

The St Regis is in one of the most beautiful setting in the world and has one of the greatest views in the world. There is a higher chance of not great weather that time of year, but for four nights that is a short enough time that spa treatments, lounging in your room in a robe over room service and relaxing in the public spaces wouldn't get stale.

The Grand Hyatt gives you more access to a better variety of dining options, some nice local shopping and I prefer it as a hotel because the St Regis doesn't have lanais for their room and that is pretty much a deal breaker for me in Hawaii. I also like the layout of the Grand Hyatt better.

The Kea Koa is nice, but for a honeymoon I think the full service amenities and variety of the Hyatt makes it a better choice.