We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1Day Grand Canyon Trip Help/Advice

Detroit, MI
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
1Day Grand Canyon Trip Help/Advice

We are planning a 1 day trip to the Grand Canyon on Dec.28. We are driving from Sedona and then on to Las Vegas. I have some questions since this our first visit to the GC:

1. Weather at GC that time of year?

2. Drive time from Sedona?

3. Is it crowded that time of year?

4. Any secrets to seeing as much as we can of the GC during our short window of time. I am planning on getting to the GC around 9 and leaving at 3.

5. Are there fees to get into the park?

Sorry if these are dumb questions but we are rookies at this. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,570 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1Day Grand Canyon Trip Help/Advice

Sorry to report but you have this on the Hawaii forum. Might be a good idea to put it on a forum for the area you are going to be in.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,396 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1Day Grand Canyon Trip Help/Advice

Aloha! Well, Kauai does have the lovely Waimea canyon, which is considered the Grand Canyon of the Pacific . . . but that won't help you out on your current vacation. :) However, I did spend one Christmas at the Grand Canyon, so I will share what I know. It will be winter, and you can have snow at the higher elevations and access can be limited or closed on the North Rim. But the South rim should be lovely . . . all National Parks have an entrance fee. If you could, I would stay to the sunset - that shouldn't be missed and Las Vegas doesn't shut down, so you won't miss anything there by arriving a little later. It's not crowded and I can't remember the drive time, but I am sure locals in Sedona can give yoou that information. Hope this helps you some. Sedona is beautiful, but there isn't anything else quite like the Grand Canyon. Good luck! :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,396 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1Day Grand Canyon Trip Help/Advice

Aloha! Well, Kauai does have the lovely Waimea canyon, which is considered the Grand Canyon of the Pacific . . . but that won't help you out on your current vacation. :) However, I did spend one Christmas at the Grand Canyon, so I will share what I know. It will be winter, and you can have snow at the higher elevations and access can be limited or closed on the North Rim. But the South rim should be lovely . . . all National Parks have an entrance fee. If you could, I would stay to the sunset - that shouldn't be missed and Las Vegas doesn't shut down, so you won't miss anything there by arriving a little later. It's not crowded and I can't remember the drive time, but I am sure locals in Sedona can give yoou that information. Hope this helps you some. Sedona is beautiful, but there isn't anything else quite like the Grand Canyon. Good luck! :)

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,396 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1Day Grand Canyon Trip Help/Advice

sorry for that double post - not sure what happened there! :(

Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1Day Grand Canyon Trip Help/Advice

I think this was some sort of weird deja-vu slip-up and you really should come to Kauai. Our "Grand Canyon" is much nicer and far less crowded!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1Day Grand Canyon Trip Help/Advice

All I can say is that late last October (2005) I got caught in a blizzard between Cottonwood and Grand Canyon. Had to get out of the way of big rigs blowing wet sticky snow back onto the windshield and out of the way of snowplows; quickly got out of their way totally. Spent the night in Williams, AZ and had a mighty fine breakfast at the Pine Country Cafe (pies to make Martha drool and tremendous eye appeal). Was able to get through next a.m. and went on to Grand Canyon...beautifully dressed in her fine winter coat with spectacular contrasts and details for photos.

A consideration for you might be the special steam engine tour that runs between Williams and G.C. Looked like lots of fun..shades of the old West. That might be more expeditious than the wear-and-tear on you for a drive through in that 5-6 hour frame. I think it was a 60-mile drive to Sedona but lost track of time because of all the scenic stops along the way. I go to National Parks gratis as a senior holding a Golden Eagle lifetime pass...everyone riding in the car gets my advantage (more reason to take us old folks out and about). Check fees (?$12-15) and park conditions at the National Park Service website (?nps.gov).

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1Day Grand Canyon Trip Help/Advice

No, G.C. was 60+ minutes from Williams and Sedona almost 3 hours ... after checking my journal.