We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to visit NiiHau

Evergreen, Colorado
Level Contributor
56 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to visit NiiHau

I will be visiting Kauai in April, and would very much like to see Niihau, but am a little chicken about the Helicopter rides. Are there any good companies that provide more tailored or private island tours by boat? I am not fond of the larger touristy trips

Noah's Ark Kauai Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Touch Kauai
Spas, Sightseeing Tours
Evergreen, Colorado
Level Contributor
56 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to visit NiiHau

One more question.....how far is it from Kauai to Niihau?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,314 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to visit NiiHau

You can't tour Ni`ihau. AFAIK you can't even go beyond the beach without an invitation from a resident. There is at least one boat tour that goes there, but they don't land. I understand the long crossing can be uncomfortably rough, and most reports here about the snorkeling at Lehua Rock are not glowing.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to visit NiiHau

PZP, is giving you great scoops.....Niihau is not generally open to visitors....they call it the forbidden island.

Holo Holo has a large cat that bashes across the channel for several hours, and they do snorkel and I believe SCUBA once they arrive off shore.

You will NOT be going ashore to trek on Niihau.

Kauai , itself is quite beautiful, and you might want to spend some time exploring the Garden island. Rivers to Kayak, Falls to see, , great hiking trails, 50 some miles of different beaches, and the list goes on.

You might get the guide book, and see what might peak your interests.

Denny

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,336 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to visit NiiHau

There IS a helicopter + safari tour of Niihau . The operators are also the owners of Niihau Island. No other commercial ventures are allowed. But this involves a helicopter ride again.

http://65.61.16.97/Niihau/AboutUs.asp

And the boat tours there aren't worth the extra dollars because you don't even set shore on the island itself. The destination is Lehua Rock, off the north end of the island. The boat ride over is rough and the snorkeling is marginal and rough.

Not much to see anyway on Niihau. Despite the allure of the idea , geographically it pales next to Kauai. Not much of interest, imo.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to visit NiiHau

We did the Holo Holo cruise a couple years ago. The ride back was really rough---lots of sick people. They anchored in deep water for some mediocre snorkeling. You could see the island, but really weren't that close to it and were not allowed to go to it. I thought they said on the tour that there were private hunting trips done there, but at quite a cost. Not sure if that's something that's done anymore.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,336 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to visit NiiHau

Slabaume, that's what is in the link I provided above. I'm also not sure if it's still operating but I haven't heard anything to the contrary.

I agree on the all day boat trip there. We also had a very rough ride back with many sick people. If you're hanging on and praying to get to shore soon then you know it wasn't worth it. That was our experience at least.

Kailua, Hawaii
Level Contributor
739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to visit NiiHau

I learned more about Niihau from this article (all 4 pages):

…starbulletin.com/1997/…story1.html

than I probably would have from visiting.

It's 13 years old, but things don't change much on Niihau.

You can also see a lot by zooming in on this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&q=Niihau&hq=&hnear=Niihau,+Kauai,+Hawaii&ll=21.892143,-160.157488&spn=0.143673,0.307961&t=h&z=12

Hank

Edited: 10:40 am, February 16, 2010
Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
6,042 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to visit NiiHau

PZP, We are going to Kauai in June, and was thinking about reserving the blue dolphin snorkeling.scuba trip to the Na Pali coast and Niihau. From the reviews i'v read it is pretty rough. All year round or just in winter? Do you know anything else about the restaurant opening up at the waipouli beach resort???

thank you :)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,785 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to visit NiiHau

Great article from the Star Bulletin. Thanks Hank.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,336 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to visit NiiHau

Pennsylvania, It was July when we went on the HoloHolo all day tour to Napali and Niihau, combined. It was extremely rough. We were both saying how we had wished we stuck to the 5-hour Napali tour only.