We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Add to Kid's Activity List

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
289 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Please Add to Kid's Activity List

We will be enjoying 10 days on Kauai with our 2 yr old granddaughter Feb 11 to 21st. Will be staying in Kapaa area but have a car and will be traveling throughout the island. Searching old threads has given me some ideas for kid friendly activities. These are what I have so far and would appreciate any additonal suggestions or comments about those selections below.

1. Kauai Children's Discovery Museum

2. Lydgate Beach

3. Baby Beach

4. Lei making at Grand Hyatt Sat 5:00pm (this is in question)

5. Kauai Museum - Lihu'e

6. Free Hula Show, Grand Hyatt Tue and Sat 7pm

Thanks for the help.

California
Level Contributor
37,645 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Please Add to Kid's Activity List

Here's the website for Coconut Coasters and they have a picture of the trailer you can rent. Might not be a bad idea to call ahead to reserve it.

www.coconutcoasters.com/kauai-bike-rentals

Have fun making memories.

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Please Add to Kid's Activity List

Napaguy, it's not about being a good parent or not, it's about having options and knowing which activities kids will tend to like, or which can be interesting for both adults and kids. I know that when I travel with my daughter, she has much more fun and behaves better if we center a few activities around her. I don't expect the parent to do all the activities suggested, just to know that they're available in case of a rainy, windy, high-surf day.

The Discovery Museum that was shut down was specifically for kids in the 2-8 range. Even though it was not up to the same standards as Children's "Museums" in big cities on the mainland, my daughter loved going there when she was two.

But you also remind me that she loved the Kaua'i Museum in Lihue, with their traditional displays of history and culture. There are a few hands on exhibits such as Hawaiian games and a plantation camp shack, and the rest you can interpret for her a little, even tell her their story: the Hawaiian royalty, how they made the canoe, etc. There are also parts of the museum that are boring for kids, but the other adults can enjoy while someone keeps the kids occupied.

However, your point about getting out and exploring nature with your (grand-)kids, or just going with the flow and discovering things together is well taken.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Please Add to Kid's Activity List

"Napaguy, it's not about being a good parent or not, it's about having options and knowing which activities kids will tend to like,"

KauaiHiker, my comment was just in jest, tongue-in-cheek. Of course I'm not judging myself, or anyone for that matter, on their parenting

My comment was to the OP and was based on their granddaughter being only TWO. I'm not sure if all responses took that into consideration. Some of these activities I don't see as being of interest to a 2 yr. old. Now if the parents plan on doing them for themselves, then fine, go for it!

That was my point. I do believe kids that young and even older are fully content with the simple things and a simple and flexible schedule.

Bay Area, CA
11 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Please Add to Kid's Activity List

Our niece liked the children's tour at the Na 'Aina Kai garden last summer, she was almost 2 at the time. I didn't go so I can't say how fun it is for adults. I think she liked making sand castles and getting in the water more than anything.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Please Add to Kid's Activity List

<<I don't think the Discover Museum still exists, but I don't know for sure.>>

Yep, closed years ago!

The Bird Talk show at the Hyatt is usually at 10:00 a.m. on the weekdays. I would call the concierge to make sure. My kids still love this one and like to hold the birds (no feeding, though). Also, they feed the Koi down by Tide Pools most weekday mornings at 9:00 a.m. We've done this once or twice. The kids love this one too and love the swans! We have not done the train at Kilohana yet.

Sorry I was late on this thread. Home schooling is taking up a lot of my time during the day. Sounds like you have lots of ideas! Kamalani Park at Lydgate is still a favorite of my boys. I would have a rough idea of what you would like to do each day and make suggestions. Seriously, if I did not have something in mind each day, the kids would not be motivated to do too much. So I made it a point to have one thing planned each day, even if it was as simple as walking over to the Hyatt in the morning and spending the afternoon at the beach.

One thing to mention, though. When my son was 2, we left him with a recommended babysitter (recommended by one of the hotels in Poipu). Although the sitter was great about applying ample sunscreen, he still got heat stroke from being in the sun too long. Scared me to death! We followed our doctor's advice and he was fine. But please be careful about how much time the little ones are out in the sun.

Edited: 7:23 pm, January 14, 2010
Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
289 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Please Add to Kid's Activity List

Great suggestions all. My intent, and with your help a successful attempt, was to develope a list to choose some activities as we travel the island. She is wonderful hanging with us adults. She does enjoy making pottery with her mom so lei making may be right up her alley, with all of our help of course. Most of all just being a kid. Living in Alaska she has learned to go with the flow as her parents were hiking, camping, watching wildlife. I am sure many hours will be filled with watching the chickens, birds, fish, etc. Thanks again to everyone. We certainly do look forward to making memories.

AK
10 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Please Add to Kid's Activity List

These ideas have been of great help as we are going with a 4 1/2 year old soon. Do you have to stay at the Hyatt to do the Lei Making, Hula show etc? Is there a cost if you do not stay at the Hyatt? Thanks!

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,728 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Please Add to Kid's Activity List

"Do you have to stay at the Hyatt to do the Lei Making, Hula show etc? Is there a cost if you do not stay at the Hyatt? "

The lady at the Lei table in the Hyatt Lobby didn't ask for our room key. She brought the flowers in boxes, and had needle and thread for each of us. I believe the vendors are in business for themselves, same with basket making and jewelry carts.

We gave her $5 for each lei we made last time.

The Children's Hula Show is free, as is the Torchlighting Ceremony. Most people sit in one of the comfy chairs or around outside tables at the Seaview Lounge, and buy a drink or appetizers if they wish, as the waitress comes to you.

However, you could stand to the side and watch and not buy anything. They have something going every night, and sometimes we are on our way out to dinner, but stand to the side for awhile to watch the entertainment.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Please Add to Kid's Activity List

No cost for the Bird Talk Show or Koi Feeding either. TheBird Talk show is fairly casual at the Seaview Terrace (same place they have the torchlighing ceremony and Keiki Hula). I usually grab a tea and a muffin and read the paper while the boys participate.

20. Re: Please Add to Kid's Activity List

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, July 18, 2010