We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Humpback Whales Spotted off Maui Oct 20, 2009

Which Kapaa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Humpback Whales Spotted off Maui Oct 20, 2009

From Hono Advertiser:

"A pod of humpback whales was spotted yesterday morning off the coast of West Maui, the first reported sighting statewide marking the beginning of whale season, according to an official with the Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary"

California
Level Contributor
35,241 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Humpback Whales Spotted off Maui Oct 20, 2009

They are so beautiful to see. I saw hundreds in Tonga on their way to Hawaii many years ago. What gorgeous creatures. Is this early? I thought sightings were more in Dec thru April.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,079 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Humpback Whales Spotted off Maui Oct 20, 2009

LIssalu told me she spotted a whale off Kealia 10/19.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Humpback Whales Spotted off Maui Oct 20, 2009

I've been waiting for someone to post a first sighting!! Just can't see them from Oahu like you can Maui!! It's a bit early but not particularly so. They were spotted about this time last year. They will be trickling in from now on.

NE PA
Level Contributor
948 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Humpback Whales Spotted off Maui Oct 20, 2009

That's great to hear. Just 102 days and I'll be sitting with my feet in the water and butt in the sand watching them! After experiencing Kauai during whale season a few years ago we just can't visit when they are not there. They certainly make a special trip even more special.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Humpback Whales Spotted off Maui Oct 20, 2009

<< After experiencing Kauai during whale season a few years ago we just can't visit when they are not there. They certainly make a special trip even more special.>>

Dfarr. we feel exactly the same - we will be there in 120 days and I will be doing the same as YOU! I did go this past May, I enjoyed the trip but I sure missed the whales. Though the monk seals I saw everyday "kinda" made up for it! :)

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,429 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Humpback Whales Spotted off Maui Oct 20, 2009

It's on the primary Hawaii forum, but wanted to be sure you Kauai Humpback Whale Lovers didn't miss this:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28932-i36-k321785…

Iowa City
Level Contributor
886 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Humpback Whales Spotted off Maui Oct 20, 2009

Good to know-yes, we will be there in excatly 76 days!

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Humpback Whales Spotted off Maui Oct 20, 2009

96 days for us! Great whale watching from the lanai at Point at Poipu!

9. Re: Humpback Whales Spotted off Maui Oct 20, 2009

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 16, 2010