We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vacation during late January, early Feb.

Which Kapaa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
c.wilson@cox.net
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
vacation during late January, early Feb.

Is this a good time to visit your beautiful island and where would you suggest snorkeling at? Is there concerns about swimming in the ocean during this time? Is it the rainy season there? Thanks for any information you can provide.

California
Level Contributor
36,048 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vacation during late January, early Feb.

For the best snorkeling try around the Poipu area and Lawai Beach. It is located next to the Beach House Restaurant. Lydgate Park is another possibility.

For swimming you want to stick to the South and West side. The North Shore ocean conditions are pretty rough until late April. The East side is always rough. I have gone swimming/boogy boarding in Hanalei Bay in January, but you want to check the flags at the lifeguard stations before venturing in.

It is the rainier time historically, but you most likely will get rain showers or over night rain. Poipu is usually very sunny and nice. Do visit the mountainous North Shore region and this time of year is whale watching season. There are good deals out there on accommodations.

Here are some websites to check out and I suggest reading guide books to better educate you on activities.

http://www.vthawaii.com/index_kauai.html

www.summitpacificinc.com/kauai_map.html

http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/kauai.html

www.hawaiiactivityworld.com/kauai/…

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…poipu

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vacation during late January, early Feb.

January/Feb are iffy months. Some years it's fine, some years, like this one, the weather is pretty crappy. This is the dead of our winter. Temps at their lowest (still warm), winds often high and many days with rough surf and dangerous oceans. heavy rains possible. For example, the last week or so the winds have been very strong so not much fun outdoors IMO.

It beats the h--l out of the mainland or Europe, but it's not our best weather. Best is probably May/June and then Sept/Nov.

California
Level Contributor
36,048 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vacation during late January, early Feb.

Happy March, Dave!

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vacation during late January, early Feb.

I think it is a great time to visit the island. You have to remember the considerable added value that time of year if you are from someplace where they actually have real winter. I used to view part of the attraction of our Kauai trips as 2 or 3 weeks of not enduring the snow and ice in Chicago. (It is a little warmer where I live now, but still nice to get away in January for a whie.) I also like that time of year because it is prime time for whale watching and the island doesn't seem as crowded with families with children. It is a little cooler too, but to me that just makes it comfortable in non AC homes or condos. You might get some extra rain, and you might not.

As jebett said, you probaby won't be snorkeling in the north then, but south locations can be fine.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vacation during late January, early Feb.

Yep, Jan and Feb are definitely part of winter here on kauai.

However, it certainly is not the impactive weather that has been experienced on the mainland.

Although Linda Lingle has somehow squeezed some disaster relieve bags of shells out of the feds for storm damage a month or so ago.

We have still been able to enjoy the island, mostly on the south shore, but Erica said yesterday, that she missed heading up north, and wanted to go up there today.

Poipu looks fine from the lanai, here in Banyon Harbor, better than yesterday.

Yesterday, we joined the Orca's and had a fun hike from CJM, on up past Maha'ulepu to nearly Ha'ulu Bay.

Great time, with great people. Yes , it was on the windy side, but it didnt slow us down much. However, every once in a while, a good strong gust pretty mcuh stoped me in my tracks. But, the wind did not become the major topic of our day.

There was a brief passing shower, before we got to the stream, that begins Maha'ulepu beach, just before Gillens.....we snugged in under some cozy trees, for about 3 minutes or so, and then continued on .

Orca got some neat photos, and they enjoyed all of the very neat natural gifts of that hunk of coast line.

Oh, I wore just board shorts and my red dirt shoes, and the others were in shorts and light shirts.

Later the four of us went to Joes on the Green for a happy lunch, and lots of laughter, and great tales.

Today, sunday, the winds are stil up, NE @ 26, some white caps on the ocean, blue skies with a few high clouds, and 68 degrees at 07:30, working its way up to maybe 72. Forcast is winds NE frm 20 - 30 mph.

Main thing is that we have no tornadooes, and zip on the snow meter. And we are way above freezing.

We do have winter here, but not so bad relative to a lot of other places.

However, if you come in the winter, you get what you get.

Denny

6. Re: vacation during late January, early Feb.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 am, October 21, 2009