We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poipu or Kapaa with kids?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Poipu or Kapaa with kids?

We're traveling to Kauai next July for 2 weeks. We have two kids, ages 6 and 4. We're staying the first week at the Westin Villas in Princeville. We're looking for a place to stay the second week. I know everyone raves about Poipu, but I've also heard it gets crowded. What do folks think of Lae Nani or Kapaa for traveling with kids? Is it less hectic than Poipu? Are the beaches as kid-friendly as Poipu? We're looking to stay in a 2-bedroom condo that's clean, on the beach and family-friendly. I was also looking for vacation rentals on sites like vrbo.com Any suggestions?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,560 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Poipu or Kapaa with kids?

Regarding A/C: We have been traveling to Kauai since 1990 and we have stayed at a number of places all over the island. Only once did I wish we had A/C.

We rented a house on Lawai Road in Poipu (close to the Spouting Horn) and the house had NO cross ventilation. Normally this would not have been a problem but my then 3 month old son needed to take his naps and the house was just too hot. So we opted to drive around in the air conditioned car and site see while he napped.

We now rent a house on Baby's Beach that has wonderful ventilation and it stays quite cool, even in July or August. So Napaguy's comments are right on. It really depends on where you are staying and of course, the time of year.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
32. Re: Poipu or Kapaa with kids?

I'm considering staying in a condo at Pono Kai. I guess it's not far from Lydgate Park. The vrbo.com guest comments are very positive. They do have ceiling fans but no AC. The condo is on the second floor and the rear lanai faces the east. I just worry about my 3 year old son who has sometimes gotten heat rashes when we have traveled to hotter climates in Mexico and Hawaii. We'll just have to see.

I'd love to hear from folks who have stayed at Pono Kai.

33. Re: Poipu or Kapaa with kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:21 am, October 12, 2009