We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kapaa accomidations

Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Kapaa accomidations

Can anyone recommend a beach cottage/house for 4 adults in Kapaa?

California
Level Contributor
39,779 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kapaa accomidations

Is there a reason you want Kapa'a? The houses and cottages are few and far between for a nice one. You could look at that house I PM'd you about which is a nice place.

http://www.alohacondos.com/moanakai/

You also might look at Anini Beach. Serenity Rentals has good cottages for rent. Or perhaps a condo like Kea Lani or Waipouli Beach Resort on the East Side.

Mentioned in this post
Waipouli Beach Resort
Waipouli Beach Resort
1,475 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kapaa accomidations

We have rented Unit B in the Moana Kai Beach Houses jebett referred to. It is VERY nice. There is a small pool, but it is not heated. The beach is not bad there, but at times surf is rough. The only drawback I can think of is that there is a boat launch nearby and the fishermen take there boats out quite early, making some noise. Also, jebett is right -- there are not a lot of "cottage type" rentals available on the beach in Kapaa. There are a lot of condos. However, you can browse through kauaivacationresorts.com to look for others. There are more cottage type rentals on Poipu and on the north shore beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Moana Kai Beach Houses
Moana Kai Beach Houses
28 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
39,779 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kapaa accomidations

A few issues I have with Moana Kai is the amount of people who frequent that beach in front. When I visited the owner it was filled with partiers. They were there to windsurf and drink. The house itself is very nice. You sahre a tiny pool with the 2 other units. The owner redid the interior except the kitchen and the furnishings are lovely. Beautiful artwork by a local artist too. There is no a/c and the bedrooms are small and it might get warm if coming during the summer. There just aren't a lot of nice places in this area (IMO) except this house. Most of the homes around there are owned by locals or are full time rentals. It is a bit "spotty" around there. Am I correct kimocat? I also remember a barking dog coming from unit C. It gets good reviews, though some have mentioned what I observed. There are so many cool rental homes in Poipu and Anini I would just look at those. I would also check out a few of those condos like Waipouli. Brand new with nice interiors. You have a great pool and are still in Kapaa. Book an ocean front so you don't face Safeway.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kapaa accomidations

David,

IF you decide to check out a house rental in Poipu, I've very familar with most of the homes (not all) in that area. We stay on Baby's Beach every summer and there are several nice 2 bedrooms directly on the water. The beach is very quiet and the residential neighborhood is small and quiet, tucked away. I usually rent through Parrish (www.ParrishKauai.com) but Garden Island Rentals (www.KauaiRentals.com) has several properties in Poipu as well.

There are other folks on the forum that have expertise on the north Shore. We rented a small two bedroom cottage in Haena last summer through www.KauaiVacationRentals.com Luckily, it was a quiet area of Haena and the house was on a large piece of oceanfront property. Let me know.

Marti

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Haena
Haena
Kauai, HI
Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kapaa accomidations

We've never been to Kauai before, but from what we've heard its best to be somewhere on the east side where you are more centrally located if you plan to be exploring a lot - which we will. We just don't want to be stuck in some sort of dump. (We've been burned before.)

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kapaa accomidations

David,

I'm personally not fond of the east side for various reasons. Also, as "jebett" mentioned, there are not a lot of cottages or homes for rent on the east side. I've rented on both south and north shores and there are some lovely places to choose from on either of those shores. The island is small enough that you can get around the island pretty easily. From Poipu, it's about 1 1/2 hours to Princeville and the drive is wonderful. We stayed in Poipu a few weeks ago. We were able to get around and see everything we wanted to see very easily from the end of the road on the west side to the end of the road at Ke'e (north). Again, just my opnion.

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
San Francisco
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kapaa accomidations

My family is traveling to Kauai next July. I was checking out the parrishkauai.com site but can you recommend the best condo resorts to stay that's family friendly? We have two kids, ages 6 and 4.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,997 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kapaa accomidations

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Family friendly condos on the South Shore? There are plenty of them to choose from - here are a few:

Nihi Kai Villas - swimming pool, tennis courts and about 1 short block to Brennecke's Beach and Po'ipu Beach Park for keikis.

Kiahuna Plantation - a lovely, plantation style condo development in lush, mature landscaping - some units are oceanfront - some garden. Swimming pool is across the street, but Po'ipu Beach is right there and is usually swimmable.

Po'ipu Kai - this is a large condo complex - there are many levels and views available - some ocean views. Tennis courts, swimming pool, restaurant on property - and a pathway that takes you directly to Brennecke's Beach and Po'ipu Beach Park.

These are just 3 of the ones that I can think of that I consider "family friendly" - I was at Po'ipu Kai this morning in their pool and there were about 4 little ones in there (some as little as 2) enjoying themselves - in the midst of the adults and nobody minded!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kapaa accomidations

jnmama,

Koloagirl has giver you some great recommendations. I also wanted to let you know that Parrish Kauai is an excellent rental agency. We have used them exclusively for Poipu rentals since 2000. The two properties I especially like with kids (mine are now 6 & 9) are Nihi Kai and Poipu Kai, mostly because of the access to a nice pool. Look at either Manualoha Building in Poipu Kai OR Building 200 of Nihi Kai. These buildings are the closest to Poipu Beach Park and have easy access to a pool. I also really like Poipu Sands (Poipu Kai) since it also has a nice pool and is close to the Hyatt. we'll be there in June/July next summer. We rent a house on Baby's Beach (Ho'ona Road) but we seriously looking at Nihi Kai for part of the trip.

Marti

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
10. Re: Kapaa accomidations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:01 pm, October 20, 2008