We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel rooms: Outrigger Waipouli vs RQ Islander on the Beach

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
68 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel rooms: Outrigger Waipouli vs RQ Islander on the Beach

I've seen on the Outrigger website that the Outrigger Waipouli as "hotel room" type accommodations. However I have not found many reviews - most reviews are about the condo type accommodations.

Has anybody stayed in one of the "hotel rooms"? I'm also wondering how they compare with the units at Resortquest Islander on the Beach.

Thanks very much!

Phoenix
8 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Hotel rooms: Outrigger Waipouli vs RQ Islander on the Beach

We didn't eat at the bar because it looked really nice and were afraid it would be expensive (especially since there are so many other cheap alternatives right across the street). But on our last day there, we rode the elevators a couple of times and saw their menu with prices. Everything seemed very reasonable and we kicked ourselves for not trying it.

There were lots of gates all around the pool area, making it very accessible. We noticed that the signs above the slides said that a wrist-band must be worn to go down them but we never saw anyone with them on and we rode it without a problem (there aren't any lifeguards or other authority figures on duty to police their regulations... for example kids aren't supposed to be allowed in the jacuzzis, but we saw them there all the time too). The pool was pretty busy only a couple of times while we were there, but there were still enough chairs. It's a really long pool and about 3.5' deep the entire length. There was also a shallow sandy area at one end of the pool that will be perfect for your 2-year old.

We wanted to spend our time away from the pool and at the beach (we have pools here in Arizona and kept telling ourselves that we traveled thousands of miles to swim in the ocean, not a pool), but the pool was so nice and the jacuzzis so inviting that we spent an hour or two of every day there. I heard some older people complaining that they thought the pool wasn't heated, but after swimming in the ocean, and in the rivers there, the pool seemed a lot warmer, so it seemed heated to me. Maybe they thought it should be as hot as the jacuzzis...

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
irvine, ca
Level Contributor
38 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Hotel rooms: Outrigger Waipouli vs RQ Islander on the Beach

superjeffery,

so you felt the pool was warmer than the ocean? or it just "felt warm" relative to the streams? i'm asking because the pools at the hilton waikoloa looked great but they were ice cold. much colder than the ocean water. i'm sure my kids would have loved it if they weren't shivering the whole time. the outrigger waipouli website advertises the pool as being heated but some "heated" pools are just flat out cold.

thank you

Phoenix
8 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Hotel rooms: Outrigger Waipouli vs RQ Islander on the Beach

The waters in the streams were definitely the coldest. The ocean was warmer, but not as warm as the heated pool. The pool was warm, but not as warm as the jacuzzis. And actually, there were different levels of heat in the three jacuzzis. One of them was just a little warmer than the pool water (where I saw most of the kids playing), the other was about that same temperature (maybe a bit warmer), and the last jacuzzi was hot (almost unbearable once I got my sunburn). I loved digging my feet into the jacuzzis' sand (apparently, that's where the heat comes from).

I think the reason some people thought that pool wasn't heated enough was because they hear that a pool is "heated" and automatically assume it will be like a jacuzzi. Whereas, I had felt the ocean and the streams and the pools here in arizona and could immediately tell that the pool there was heated.

Phoenix
8 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Hotel rooms: Outrigger Waipouli vs RQ Islander on the Beach

One more point to make. The gentleman who commented to me that he thought the pool wasn't heated complained to management that night and the next day the pool felt even warmer (I saw him again and he was very happy that his complaint had been heard). I don't know if management did anything, because the day before he complained, there was a breeze and the sky was overcast. The day after he complained the water felt warmer but it was bright and sunny outside without any breezes.

15. Re: Hotel rooms: Outrigger Waipouli vs RQ Islander on the Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:25 am, September 22, 2009