We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April-what local foods Kauai

Florissant
Level Contributor
62 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
April-what local foods Kauai

I am planning this April 2008 trip and could use some info, please.

What fresh, local fruits and vegetables will I find in the sunshine markets in early April? We always eat local when we vacation and I am planning what to cook.

Mahalo

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April-what local foods Kauai

Aloha from Kaua'i!

As far as what fruits and veggies you can expect to find in our local "sunshine markets" in April -- you can expect:

papaya

bananas

avocados

ulu (breadfruit)

jambon (a type of large grapefruit)

tangerines

long beans

starfruit

coconuts

I don't know - pretty much everything except for things like mangos (too early) and lychee (also too early) will be available --

Malama Pono

Janet

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,087 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April-what local foods Kauai

Hubby and I were just talking about this last night....(we leave for Kauai in 4 short weeks...woo hoo !! )

Anyway, I asked him what he was looking forward to the most at the sunshine market, thinking maybe he would suggest some exotic fruit.....but he said "Tomatoes....mmmm"......What passes for tomatoes here are picked green and ripen ? (change color to light red) on the barge on the way up....

I am looking forward to it ALL !!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April-what local foods Kauai

Hate to tell you, but we have not had good luck with the tomatos at the sushine markets. Papayas, mangos, etc. have been great, but we need to look good at what we are getting, and even then have come to find our favorite vendors who constantly have excellent product.

Denny

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,914 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April-what local foods Kauai

There's one vendor at the Kapa`a Sunshine Market who has tasty tomatoes, and she sells out within minutes of opening. You have to be there at least 20 minutes early and wait.

Florissant
Level Contributor
62 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: April-what local foods Kauai

24 days until we land on Kauai. I saw a mention of mangoes-is there a possibility? Also, what about the Kauai papayas? I heard there was a problem with disease, then the new papayas weren't good.

Thanks to everyone for any enlightenment.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: April-what local foods Kauai

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I've seen papayas at the stores and some at the sunshine markets -- as far as mangoes -- it is still pretty darn early - my mango tree is just now in flower -- there may be a few early-bloomers out there, but mangoes are a summer fruit, so it might be a little tough to find. Beware the ones in stores - they come mostly from Mexico - along with the bananas!

Malama Pono,

Janet

New York
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: April-what local foods Kauai

No corn, right?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,914 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: April-what local foods Kauai

I saw one vendor at Kapa`a with a bit of corn, but that was a couple or three weeks ago and nothing since.

Southern Utah
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: April-what local foods Kauai

I just returned from Kauai. There are NO mangos at any of the outdoor markets or in supermarkets also. We came home and bought our mangos at Costco!

If you want to try some local food, go to Mark's Place. He's a caterer that opens his doors to take-out service from 10 am to 2 pm and has a great selection of local dishes (loco moco, bbq ribs, kalua pig, etc.). It's in an industrial area in Puhi (near Kauai Comm College and Gaylord's)at 1610 Haleukana St (242-2522). The phone book also lists a location in Lawai, but didn't go there.

Try the pancakes and other local dishes at Oki Diner. Visit with the owner, Barbara Oki, and tell her you were sent by the guy whose picture is on the wall (last one on the right!)

Other places for great local food are Garden Island BBQ and Chinese Restaurant and Hamura's Saimin, both in downtown Lihue, the first on Rice St and Hamura's on Kress St. Great food with local flavor and reasonable prices!

Florissant
Level Contributor
62 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: April-what local foods Kauai

Mahalo for the update! We are going much earlier than we wanted, so this will be new to us. We usually go to Kauai in mid-summer.

We had non-refundable air tickets from 2007 that we had to use before the end of April. We had to cancel our 2007 trip because I was diagnosed with stomach cancer and had surgery and chemo.

American Airlines refused to help us out, telling us we had a year to use up the tickets we had purchased in April 2007, or we lost the money.

Hence an April trip. We will enjoy it!

katfish