We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayak the Hanalei River

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kayak the Hanalei River

Hi, I have a couple of questions, I hope someone can answer.

Can one still paddle far up the Hanalei River? We are avid bird and turtle watchers, and it sounds ideal. We also canoe a lot, so a self-guided trip is our preference.

If so, what are the options for rentals? I am a little confused as the Ultimate Guidebook update says Kayak Kauai is closed -- but is that the same as Hanalei River Watersports? Are they closed too? I see conflicting information on the internet.

Thanks for any advice!

Alison

Mentioned in this post
Hanalei River Watersports
Hanalei River Watersports
5 Reviews
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
9,913 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayak the Hanalei River

Mike Rodger at www.kauaiexperience.com can answer your questions and rent you a kayak.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,202 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayak the Hanalei River

Yes, you can kayak up the Hanalei River.

Hawaiian Surfing Adventures rents kayaks:

hawaiiansurfingadventures.com/kayak_rentals.…

Pedal n Paddle too:

http://www.pedalnpaddle.com/main-frame.html

Mentioned in this post
Hawaiian Surfing Adventures
Hawaiian Surfing...
143 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayak the Hanalei River

Thanks!

Winchester...
Level Contributor
148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayak the Hanalei River

We rented kayaks from pedal and paddle and had a great time kayaking up the Hanalei river. It was beautiful and fun, we saw lots of birds and turtles! We will definitely do it again.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayak the Hanalei River

Here are the latest scoops.

1. Kayak Kauai has moved from their buidling in Hanalei to THE WAILUA RIVER

2. KAYAK HANALEI has moved into the same building and office that Kayak Kauai moved out of.

Life and kayaking is really made simple at this location, no transporting of kayaks. You slide the kayak down a ramp with the assitance of staff, and paddle the small tributary a few yards to the hanalei river.

You might call KAYAK HANALEI to reserve a kayak and also asked them how far you can paddle up river.

KAYAK HANALIEI is now located in the two story building next door to the Hanalei Dolphin Restaurant on the makai side of the main road as you enter Hanalei town from the Hanalei river bridge area.This is the exact location that kayak kauai vacated.

Edited: 12:31 pm, March 15, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Kayak Hanalei
Kayak Hanalei
321 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Saratoga Springs...
Level Contributor
758 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kayak the Hanalei River

You can go as far up the river as you can paddle against the current. This distance will vary depending on the amount of rainfall. The more rain, the swifter the current. We made it pretty far the last time we were there. Saw some cool turtles, (not sea turtles), sunning on logs and plenty of birds. The current eventually got so strong it was like trying to paddle against a rapids.

Colorado
Level Contributor
361 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kayak the Hanalei River

You can only go so far up the river in Hanalei before the debris becomes too much and it clogs the river. I'm guessing it's probably 2 miles past where you put the kayaks in. A good option- depending on the surf conditions- is to kayak out into Hanalei Bay first, and then head up the river.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
9,005 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kayak the Hanalei River

I agree rainfall around the time your going and specifically how high the river is on the day you're going will probably going to be the deciding factor. On my trip the main two things that impacted how far I got were:

1. How many portages I was willing to make and how far I was willing to portage. Either from low water level, debris, and/or fast current (I was solo), I did get out a few times and walked the kayak and/or portaged to get back to paddle depth.

2. Overall water depth. I finally got to a point where I was just constantly bottoming out. Walked a little further around a bend and didn't see the water depth increasing so I headed back downstream.

I will say that I am certain I made it *much* further upstream than the prior response and probably the one before it. I'm certain I made it at least 6 miles up the river, maybe further (I'm measuring from the bay not the put-in, which is about a mile up river from the bay, so from the put-in discussed I made it at least 5 miles). As pointed out, I didn't stop because of the current, I stopped because I was "running out of river."

That's what I can tell you about my experience,

hlo

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kayak the Hanalei River

We rented from Pedal n Paddle -- they were very friendly and helpful (at least, the older staff member was). It was not all that hard to car-top the kayak, and my husband liked the straps so much he bought a set to take home for our canoe.

We got about a half mile past the bridge before the way was blocked by debris. Pretty nice, but a tour group came by and scared off the turtles. We did see black-crowned night herons, nene, and Hawaiian moorhens from the river, but the view of them was better from the little road that runs parallel to the river -- and there were coots, in the taro fields.

The part that runs along the road was not much fun.

10. Re: Kayak the Hanalei River

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 29, 2015