We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Kauai!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First time to Kauai!

Hello everyone!

I am looking to send my parents to Kauai for their wedding anniversary and need some help. We used to have a very small beach house on the North shore of Oahu. Mokuleia to be exact so we were close to Haleiwa and Waialua. We sadly no longer have our little beach house so we are venturing out to try a new island and I just have no idea where to start.

The dates are flexible - anytime from the end of February to the beginning of April. No huge tourist centers with massive resorts and shopping centers. A small, eclectic beach town is more up their alley. (think Haleiwa ten years ago :)

Something remote but not so far where they would have to drive 30 minutes for a grocery store. They are in need of pure relaxation and sandy beaches. No need for horseback riding or scuba diving. Just quiet sandy beaches. (and maybe a ten minute drive to some yummy restaurants)

I was looking at some rentals in Aliomanu Bay and some reviewers said it was too remote?

I would so appreciate any advice or tips on where to send my parents and what areas to check out.

Mahalo!

Layla

new york
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time to Kauai!

Where is that bay ? I never heard of it. I would have them stay on south side during that time frame . Great beaches , restaurants and shopping nearby .

California
Level Contributor
9,586 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time to Kauai!

I'd look for a cottage on Hanalei Bay or Anini Beach on the North Shore.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,117 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time to Kauai!

I wouldn't call Aliomanu Bay "remote" since it is pretty short drive into Kapaa from there. It is not a "touristy" area at all, but would not be my first choice of locations. While Poipu is drier that time of year, their sandy beaches are not quiet IMO and not great places to walk. Hanalei on the north shore might be more to their liking, with shops and restaurants nearby, the fabulous Hanalei Bay beaches and still a small, funky town vibe. You might also like the Anini Beach area, which is very quiet, but you would have to drive to any restaurants and stores -- only about 5 minutes to Princevile. You may see more rain and sometimes high surf. But if that doesn't matter, you really can't beat the north shore.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First time to Kauai!

Agree with kimocat, the north shore of Kauai would be most like what you're looking for and the lodging options would be most comparable to your old north shore of Oahu beach house. Poipu would be the antithesis of that for you.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,722 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time to Kauai!

Hanalei, on the north shore, as late in April as possible. May will bring even better conditions.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time to Kauai!

Thank you so much for the advice! I will check out those areas!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time to Kauai!

HI Napa guy -

Thanks for your response. Why do you think Poipu would be the opposite of what I am looking for?

Layla

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,754 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time to Kauai!

In February...maybe Kohala Coast on Big Island? If much later...north shore Kauai. (What season did they enjoy north shore Oahu? North shore Kauai is much the same.)

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,722 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time to Kauai!

You asked for "A small, eclectic beach town..." which is Hanalei through and through. Po`ipu is much more built up with vacation accommodations and resorts, although most of the resorts are condo complexes, not hotels, and none are huge. Just a very different feel from Hanalei. Kaua`i doesn't have anything close to a massive resort.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,881 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time to Kauai!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'll throw this out here, just because of the comment the OP made about something "remote" and "pure sandy beaches"......this might be too remote, but it is the ONLY home on the whole undeveloped Maha'ulepu coastline.....absolutely old school, but you would have to drive about 20 minutes to get to the store from there.

http://gillinbeachhouse.com/

On the South Shore, but on the largest, undeveloped, accessible coastline on Kaua'i. And as I said...the ONLY home there....right on the beach.

Malama Pono,

Janet