We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in June 2014, where to stay in Hanalei?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon in June 2014, where to stay in Hanalei?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to assist, as this will be my first trip to Kauai and we are looking to be on the island for 5 nights, and want to stay about 3 nights in Hanalei? Any recommendations? We are trying to keep are budget around $175.00 a night, as we are getting married on the big island and will be there for about 5 nights. We dont need anything fancy, but just a nice bed to lay our head as we will never be there!! I found a couple places on VRBO.com, but wanted to see from the experts.

Thanks

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,262 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in June 2014, where to stay in Hanalei?

Why only 3 nights in Hanalei? Why not stay for the 5? :)

California
Level Contributor
9,503 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in June 2014, where to stay in Hanalei?

http://www.cushniecottages.com/

Here's an option. If you provide the links to the places you found on vrbo,, we could comment.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in June 2014, where to stay in Hanalei?

Well i want to stay longer, but we want to be able to experience the south side of the island, so probably stay down there for two nights.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,638 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in June 2014, where to stay in Hanalei?

South/West Shore is an easy drive...stay North and do day trips. $175.00 is a little low for Hanalei...but staying 5 nights "might" get you a better rate than only 3. June is HIGH season. Some places will not consider a 3 night rental unless it's just to fill-in empty nights. Also, most all vacation rentals have a cleaning fee...make the most of your budget by only paying one cleaning fee. Many more lodging options will be available if you consider all of the North Shore including Princeviile, Kilauea, Ha‘ena, Wainiha.

3Chihuahuas

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in June 2014, where to stay in Hanalei?

So are you suggesting staying in Hanalei for the full 5 nights and take day trips to the rest of the island?

California
Level Contributor
9,503 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in June 2014, where to stay in Hanalei?

Agree with 3chi's. Don't split your stay with just five days. The cottage I recommended in Hanalei is $175 a night and less than a 5 min. walk to Hanalei Bay. Our son stays in a house next door and is very happy with the location. If you think you might want to stay in Poipu, here's a cottage for $150 a night. It has a view, and it's an easy walk down to Brennecke's.

kauaivacationrentals.com/rental/house.html…

Kauai is very small--easy to drive.

Edited: 3:56 pm, June 18, 2013
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,638 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in June 2014, where to stay in Hanalei?

>>>So are you suggesting staying in Hanalei for the full 5 nights and take day trips to the rest of the island?<<<

YES! After being on the BI, you'll be amazed just how small and easy to drive Kaua‘i is.

3Chihuahuas

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,262 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon in June 2014, where to stay in Hanalei?

Yes, I would plan to do a day trip to the south - get up early, drive to Waimea Canyon & Kokee state park, then explore whatever else you want to see/do on the south side. That is what I always do when staying in Kauai. :)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon in June 2014, where to stay in Hanalei?

So if you were to suggest anywhere to stay on the north side of the island, where would it be?

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,638 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon in June 2014, where to stay in Hanalei?

It depends on what you want. The only condos and resorts are in Princeville, but P-ville is up on a cliff, so if you want an easy walk to the beach/ocean, it's not there but some incredible views and inexpensive condos without a view. Actually the St. Regis has an elevator down to beach level and Hanalei Bay Resort (shares the same beach), has a path down, plus you can call for a golf cart to take you up & down if you stay at HBR. There's homes to rent also.

Hanalei (town) has only homes, cottages, duplex type lodging. The bay has 2 miles of beach..walk to the beach, shopping, restaurants.

Anini has some homes along the beach or across from it - same with Tunnels/Ha‘ena area. Wainiha has homes, cottages, duplex type lodging from the ocean up a valley with a stream running through it.

Kilauea has homes, cottages, duplex type lodging either in a residential area or up on the cliffs...some on lots of acreage.

Which places on vrbo interested you?

3Chihuahuas