We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with Na Pali boat tour from North Shore

Which Hanalei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Overland Park...
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with Na Pali boat tour from North Shore

I know there are a lot of threads on this topic, but I've been over-analyzing a bit the selection of a Na Pali coast boat tour operator leaving from the north shore. We're staying in Princeville, so we will only be interested in cruising from the north shore. The party of 4 will be me and my wife, both late 30s, my wife gets mild sea sickness. Our 8 year old daughter, who like her dad is fairly adventurous thrill seeker. And my mom, 60 years old, in good health.

We will snorkel, but its not a big concern. Sea caves would be nice, but not mandatory. I am very interested in photography.

- we have ruled out Na Pali Catamaran primarily due to lack of shade, which will helps minimize my wife's sea-sickness.

- Captain Sundown and Na Pali Sea Breeze are basically feeling like a coin flip. I am leaning slightly toward Captain Sundown as their boat appears to best meet our ideal and I like the idea of sailing and fishing more than entering the sea caves.

- Holo Holo Adventurer rigid hull tour is another consideration. The shade canopy looks good, but the boats appear to be pretty crowded and photography around the canopy framing may not be ideal. And my wife is initially not a fan of their boat.

So, for shade, comfort and photography, would I be happy with Captain Sundown or would another operator better meet our top criteria?

Thanks.

California
Level Contributor
35,241 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with Na Pali boat tour from North Shore

I have done Holo Holo and I sat in the shade and got great pictures. Sit on the left side.

It is a small rigid inflatable. The front area you get more bumps. The back is pretty stable. We did go in the caves. There is a bathroom and snorkeling was pretty good the day we went. I had a ball. That is my personal experience! (check them out on Facebook. You can see loads of pictures guests took)

If Capt Sundowner appeals to you, you don't care about going near the caves, then book it soon. North Shore excursions book out fast.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with Na Pali boat tour from North Shore

Thanks jebett... Based on the photos I've seen it looks like they get about 25-30 people on that Holo Holo raft. Is that about right from your experience? Does it feel crowded or is it still pretty comfortable? Is it possible to get up and move around, I'm a bit concerned that if I cannot get a seat on the left because they're all taken before I board, that I'll be disappointed with my photography. If I can move up front for better photography then maybe that addresses the concern.

Thanks again for your insight, its based on your review that I started looking at Holo Holo... And it helps that the price looks pretty good compared to the others.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,540 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with Na Pali boat tour from North Shore

Loved by trip with Holoholo last July - I don't remember how many people were on board - but it didn't feel crowded and people would move around to take photos without any problems. :)

Edited: 11:35 pm, May 26, 2013
Overland Park...
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with Na Pali boat tour from North Shore

we've decided on the Holo Holo Adventurer RIB. Thanks for the responses and reviews here and on the other related threads.

5. Re: Please help with Na Pali boat tour from North Shore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 29, 2014