We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Save Hanalei Bay" rally this Saturday - plus the "yacht"..

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,939 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
"Save Hanalei Bay" rally this Saturday - plus the "yacht"..

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Interesting article in today's paper here - about a rally being held at Hanalei Bay this upcoming Saturday - as well as information about the yacht with helicopter that has been harbored in Hanalei Bay.

thegardenisland.com/news/local/save-hanalei-…

Consider going to the rally if you are on island this Saturday - I'm sure it will be worthwhile and good fun as well!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: "Save Hanalei Bay" rally this Saturday - plus the "yacht"..

Denny and Erica are headed off island today at 1 pm for a fun stay cation on Maui.

Will be up in Napili Bay, and explore about along with hiking and snorkeling and partying and sailing as well....Scotch Mist, a 50 ft sailing monohull that they actually sail....and do a little snorkeling with them as well..

My posting was to possibly assist those north shore folks who really have no problem in aserting themselves when in comes to protecting their beautiful north shore. They take no prisoners......and I like that !

Regardless, we are going ahead with our planned Mauai vacation . I have total faith and appreciation for those who are involved here on kauai island to take care of the mega yachts.

Agree that no one wants to see hanalei bay turn into a caribbean style mass of jet skis, water skis, para sailing tows, low fllying helos, lound music, and whatever.

And thanks milwkikid , good point.

Denny

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: "Save Hanalei Bay" rally this Saturday - plus the "yacht"..

Any feedback on the rally?

San Diego
Level Contributor
453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: "Save Hanalei Bay" rally this Saturday - plus the "yacht"..

I was just looking at the webcam to see if I could see anything going on--- and ---- nope, I see nothing! I'm going to check again at 5 o'clock to see if I can see what's going on

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: "Save Hanalei Bay" rally this Saturday - plus the "yacht"..

It's not just the boat, it's the helicopter issues too. So it's making runs back and forth to somewhere on the island? Picking up / dropping off passengers (as Denny suggested) or even performing some sightseeing trips?

If they're operating that helicopter aren't they require to file a flight plan and get some approval from whoever?

The Hawaii Attorney General says the state cannot make specific rules for commercial or recreational uses? I find it hard to believe there are no rules in place already. Surely the Dept. of Land and Natural Resources would have something in place already. Bottom line though is the County of Kauai gave the permit. That's where the focus needs to be.

California
Level Contributor
37,615 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: "Save Hanalei Bay" rally this Saturday - plus the "yacht"..

Many times the helicopter goes to the Princeville Airport. That's one way to avoid the one lane bridges. lol

You do not have to submit a flight plan unless you are flying IFR is my understanding.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,831 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: "Save Hanalei Bay" rally this Saturday - plus the "yacht"..

Does the Princeville airport have a tower? You're right, if they are flying VFR, they do not need to file a fllight plan but ythey do need to either contact the tower or broadcast their intentions to land (if no tower exists) at the airport.

Edited: 11:21 pm, August 18, 2012
27. Re: "Save Hanalei Bay" rally this Saturday - plus the "yacht"..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, August 20, 2013