We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Save Hanalei Bay" rally this Saturday - plus the "yacht"..

Which Hanalei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,846 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
"Save Hanalei Bay" rally this Saturday - plus the "yacht"..

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Interesting article in today's paper here - about a rally being held at Hanalei Bay this upcoming Saturday - as well as information about the yacht with helicopter that has been harbored in Hanalei Bay.

thegardenisland.com/news/local/save-hanalei-…

Consider going to the rally if you are on island this Saturday - I'm sure it will be worthwhile and good fun as well!

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
9,217 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Save Hanalei Bay" rally this Saturday - plus the "yacht"..

Wow! Very interesting!! Thanks for posting this, Janet. I've been wondering why they've been allowed to stay there that long. Hope the rally brings about the desired results! Wish I could be there.

California
Level Contributor
35,282 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Save Hanalei Bay" rally this Saturday - plus the "yacht"..

As someone who charters catamarans and sees the impact of too many yachts in small bays around the world, I would hate to see this get out of hand in Kauai. Accepting one large boat, means accepting 2 large yachts. 2 boats turns into 5 and then they have to build a pier to accept the passengers and there goes the neighborhood. I am happy to see the community of Kauai rally against this. Maybe they need to only allow them to moor in Pt Allen.

Texas
Level Contributor
107 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Save Hanalei Bay" rally this Saturday - plus the "yacht"..

Thanks Janet! This is really interesting. I've heard lots of people talking about it in the coffee shop and on the beach.

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Save Hanalei Bay" rally this Saturday - plus the "yacht"..

Thanks for sharing.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Save Hanalei Bay" rally this Saturday - plus the "yacht"..

Since they were permitted, shouldn't the County of Kauai be held responsible. We all know why anchoring at Port Allen would not get the yacht the same passengers. IMHO. Not saying the rally would not be a good idea.

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
911 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Save Hanalei Bay" rally this Saturday - plus the "yacht"..

I would join in If I was on the Island, all of you who are need to go !!!!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,265 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Save Hanalei Bay" rally this Saturday - plus the "yacht"..

Thanks for posting, Janet.

California
Level Contributor
35,282 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Save Hanalei Bay" rally this Saturday - plus the "yacht"..

Yes, Shanty, that is a great point and I think what the rally should do, is voice their concerns to the county. Do not allow permits for oversized yachts in the bay.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Save Hanalei Bay" rally this Saturday - plus the "yacht"..

OK....

This vessel is not a small 50 ft. catamaran, it is a large mega yacht. And the people of the north shore are justly concerned that more mega yachts might be in their future, let alone added napali tour boats.

In many instances , this vessel can be.

1. One owner : who flies in to where ever the yacht is berthed and parties. Uusally at different intervals, friends , family and business associates fly in at different times for their week or two of full on pary time. Thus the rowdiness, jet skis, fast motor boats, etc, and partying seem continuous.

The crew delivers the vessel to various ports anyplace, then the partiers come to play. When all that fun is done, off they go to the next port o call.

2. Vessel can be corporate owned, or owned by several partners, who do the same thing. Fly in for a few weeks and then depart, and the next partner and their family arrive for their stay.

3. The mega yacht might also be chartered through out its time here, and have bucks up paying charter parties visiting for their week , one group after another.

4. The helo flying low over the homes up in the area could be picking those folks up from the airport, and taking them back, as well as on low level scenic tours of Kauai.

Generally in these types of situations there is not much respect for anyone else that uses , in this case, Hanalei Bay or Beach or surrounding area.

I would like to know more about the vessel and how they are operating and these questions should be brought up to any convening authority at the community meeting. It might help the community populace, to know some maritime procedures and regs.

Immediately:

A USCG boarding party, vessel and safety inspection. These are not unusual, as many boaters through out the USA have been boarded and inspected....including yours truly. Random inspections are practiced quite often. They can board any vessel in U.S. Waters.

1. Has anyone noticed the vessel leaving the anchorage over the last couple of months, or whatever to pump out their holdng tanks. It is FEDERAL Law to not dump within 3 miles of land.

If not, , have they been pumping their human refuse, and both brown and gray water into Hanalei Bay ?. Bring in the feds, and the EPA.

2. If operating as a commercial charter vessel is the yacht itself up to all of the requirements of SUB CHAPTER " T " . The U.S.C.G can take care of that.

3. If operating for hire, does the capt. have a U.S.C.G. masters license that is required for a vessel of that tonnage. And is it current for the area they operating. They expire every 5 years.

4. What is the past reputation of that vessel , crew, and actions of the passengers, and who is the owner and are all of the vessel documents, registration, licenses, etc. in order.

What is the vessels hailing port ?

5. It would have been nice if the GIN would have shown a photo of the vessel itself.

And, not sure about kauai island, but in the caribbean, some of those islands, a crew and vessel can be declared persona non grata, or what ever, and bannished from that island.

Heck, your boat can be bannished from Avalon Harbor in Catalina for one year for not having the head system on holding tank. Yep, harbies board every vessel and put a dye tablet into the head and start pumping. One little drop of that dye in the harbor water and the skipper is fined, kicked out, comes back for court , and the vessel itself is banned for one year.

I probably would not have typed this out, but disrespect for our island, the residents and the visitors due the operation of what is like a party time resort need to be addressed.

Hoepfully, some of these ideas can be used by those folks from the north shore, and should be presented to the :

Permit issuuing authority

The U.S.C.G.

The DLNR

and any other convenign authority

They all should be at that meeting.

Go for it North Shore folks, Protect your island.

Denny

California
Level Contributor
35,282 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "Save Hanalei Bay" rally this Saturday - plus the "yacht"..

<<1. Has anyone noticed the vessel leaving the anchorage over the last couple of months, or whatever to pump out their holdng tanks. It is FEDERAL Law to not dump within 3 miles of land.>>

It leaves every few days. They are totally playing by the book (from what I have heard) but the concern is over the bay become too crowded with large vessels and the helicopter flying in and out of the bay.