We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tahiti Nui or Postcards?

Which Hanalei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,340 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Tahiti Nui or Postcards?

OK, I'm trying to figure out which restaurant to try for our last night on Kauai. We are staying at Hanalei Colony Resort and we are already set for dinner at Mediterranean Gourmet and the sushi lounge at the Hanalei Dolphin. We've already tried BarACuda. So we want to try one of these places and not sure which one.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,342 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tahiti Nui or Postcards?

We stopped at Tahiti Nui a few years ago and were totally and completely ignored by the waitstaff, to the point that we got up and left. I know that's kind of their style, but I don't think it's cool and I won't go back.

We had an AMAZING sushi roll at Bouchon's, and the ILs loved their mahi fish and chips. Service was unbelievably terrible, but I still dream about that roll. They advertise a Keiki menu, but it's the same old "fried with a side of fries"...

California
Level Contributor
35,606 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tahiti Nui or Postcards?

You and the family would probably love Postcards. I find it okay and expensive. Comparing Tahiti Nui and Postcards is impossible. They are totally different. Tahiti Nui you go for the music, pizza and funky vibe. Postcards is much nicer and very organic. Again $$$$!!!!

Have you thought about The Tavern at Princeville? It continues to improve everytime I go. Good menu selection, but if you only want to go as far as Hanalei, also check out Bouchon's or Kalypso.

California
Level Contributor
35,606 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tahiti Nui or Postcards?

You are right about the wait staff at Nui! They are always shorthanded, but I have always had good service, though slow. My biggest complaint is they are often "out of" something. If you go, go early. It gets packed because the bar is such a hangout especially on a Fri, Sat night.

California
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tahiti Nui or Postcards?

I'd have dinner at Postcards and then walk over to Tahiti Nui for the music. I know Postcards gets some mixed reviews, but we've always enjoyed our dinners there, and I love the setting. You can check out their menu on-line. We've had dinner a couple of times at Tahiti Nui. I know we had pizza once, and it was OK. Also, it's not a place I'd want to take kids, but that's just me.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tahiti Nui or Postcards?

Hi Marti-It might depend what you are in the mood for that day. I like Tahiti Nui as a funky little island kind of place --can't remember any really memorable food. We have dined at Post cards maybe four times in the last few years -- had one truly outstanding meal and three others that were a bit underwhelming considering the cost.

California
Level Contributor
35,606 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tahiti Nui or Postcards?

You and I feel the same about Postcards, Kimocat. I just don't get it. I have friends who adore this restaurant and go time after time. It is "cute" but the menu is so limited and dog gone it, expensive for what you get. Check out the menu and prices to see if it will fit your bill.

http://www.postcardscafe.com/lundin.html

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,340 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tahiti Nui or Postcards?

I was thinking early to Tahiti Nui just to check it out. I would not be there late and I've heard later on, it's not a good place for kids. But I still want to poke my head in. I totally forgot about The Tavern at Princeville! It's run by Roy's, if memory serves me. My husband loves Roys' (going there for Father's Day). I'm still not sure I want to chance Postcard's. For that kind of money (I did check out their menu), I guess I want more guarantees. Been to Kalypso's once.... Bouchon's might be an idea and it looks like they have more than just sushi since we already planned on going to Hanalei Dolphin for sushi. Neither one of my kids are "fried with a side of fries" kind of kids and my 12 year old is ordering and eating adult size now. But The Tavern might be a great choice. I was thinking about something casual since it will be our last night.

Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tahiti Nui or Postcards?

We ate at both Tahiti Nui and Roy's last month. In fact we ate the fried chicken at Roy's twice. Soooo yummy. Our waiter said this is what "Roy" orders when he eats here. The mashed potatoes=comfort food heaven. Unlike any I have had before. We like both places but as others have posted, different fun times to be had. I think wait and see what kind of mood your family is in that day. Tahiti Nui if you go early the kids would be fine. Have heard their pizza is quite good and they have Hawaiian music 7-9. If you order something besides pizza it will start to add up for even the kids. I thinks its a super fun place with good Tiki atmoshphere. Agreed ....don't expect awesome service. Always had good food, met new friends and enjoyed my time at Tahiti. Can't imagine not making at least one stop there on any North Store stay. Will definately plan on taking our adult son there when he makes a trip with us.

Roy's is less people interactive and more a place to go if you want to just chill, and eat a nice meal. Drinks were good, especially the cucumber ginger gimlet with vodka instead of gin. The escargot was very good also. We actually ate our last meal there this trip and we will go back. Enjoy your trip Martik!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,340 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tahiti Nui or Postcards?

I told my husband about The Tavern. He saw it last March but they did not have time to stop and eat; they were in a hurry to get to/from Ke'e Beach. He really wants to try it this time around. I think we will poke our heads into "The Nui" since I've never been (hubby has on one or two trips). Yes, many trips to Kauai and never stepped foot in there.... not sure why!

California
Level Contributor
35,606 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tahiti Nui or Postcards?

The fried chicken is excellent @ Tavern. Not greasy and totally agree about the mashed potatoes. Yum!!!! I have had their fish special too and it was very good.

I know you had some issues with the noise level at Josselin's last year, Martik, so this is a warning that it can get noisy depending on the crowds. Twice I've been there, there were large parties. I thought service was very attentive.