We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hanalei colony resort luau

Which Hanalei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Pawleys Island...
Level Contributor
17 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
hanalei colony resort luau

Has anyone gone to the luau at the Hanalei Colony Resort? We are interested in feedback. Thanks in advance!!!!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,385 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hanalei colony resort luau

There are several reviews and threads on ths subject:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60611-d6720…

tripadvisor.com/…28400608

Mediterranean Gourmet luau: Great luau! We wanted to take our friends and we all loved it. Fantastic food for a luau, especially the slightly Mediterranean-style fish. The show was very, very good and was much more sincere and authentic than the giant shows.

Virginia
Level Contributor
915 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: hanalei colony resort luau

My wife and I went last October (dang, it HAS been almost a year). I can't compare to any others, but we loved it. The food was good, and the small size made it seem pretty intimate. We got there pretty early, so we were seated in the first row of tables. The entertainment was great, I understand it was mostly one extended family. Oh, and if the owner is tending bar, the mai tais are WAY too good.

Springfield, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hanalei colony resort luau

We attended the luau in the Mediterranean Restaurant adjacent to the Hanalei Colony Resort, for $69 per person, two days ago. As we entered , each of us received a shell lei. We were seated at a table for four one row of tables back of the stage. One complimentary drink was served after we were seated, either a mai tai, glass of wine, glass of beer, or soft drink. The mai tais were great. The show started a few minutes after 6 p.m. with three men playing a steel guitar, conventional guitar, and a ukelele. They played well and sang harmony equally well. The buffet was ready around 6:30 pm, and consisted of traditional Hawaiian dishes. Most was quite good, just the macaroni-potato salad would have benefitted from some spices, and the lomi-lomi salmon was a bit oily. Tables were called up sequentially, so we stood in line less than 5 minutes. I estimate that there were between 50 and 60 guests – maximum capacity was listed as 80 guests. I ordered a bottle of Fish House Columbia Valley sauvignon blanc, at $28.00 among the cheapest on the wine list. Mixed drinks were $10.00 and up. The service was very attentive.

Around 7:00 p.m., dessert was ready, including pineapple, honeydew melon, haupia, and coconut cake, all very good. Around 7:05 p.m. the dance show started on a slightly elevated portable stage placed between the musicians and audience. There were four young lady dancers, three of them introduced as daughters of the announcer and lead guitarist. They danced singly, in pairs, in threes, and in fours. Two additional musicians joined for the dance show. Initially, several traditional Hawaiian dances were performed, followed around 7:40 p.m. by a few Tahitian dances. For the latter, the wife and youngest daughter joined on drums. The dancers were all good performers, but wore drab, but probably traditional, costumes. The audience was then asked to come on stage and try a Tahitian dance – two slender ladies volunteered but it was the usual silly part of these shows. Around 8:00 p.m., the stage was removed and the father performed an energetic fire dance. Two more songs were played afterwards, with the audience singing along, including Aloha Oe (farewell to thee), and hokey pokey for the kids (but the adults danced cheerfully along as well). Lastly, the dancers and fire dancer posed for pictures with members of the audience. Overall a great show and luau. We liked the more intimate setting compared to most other luaus.

Edited: 7:46 pm, November 11, 2010
Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hanalei colony resort luau

I have seen 4 and rank them as follows . . . .Mediterranean Gourmet, Smith's, Hale Koa (Oahu), and Polynesian Culture Center (Oahu). Smith's is very good and I heartily endorse it. The quality of the food and drink, the entertainment, and the intimate, family-like atmosphere make the Mediterranean Gourmet special, well worth the drive to Haena.

5. Re: hanalei colony resort luau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:25 am, May 11, 2011