We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooter rentals

La Mirada...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
Scooter rentals

Would anybody recommend renting a scooter on Kauai. Heard you could ride to some W/Falls. True/False?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,775 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scooter rentals

IHMO, riding a scooter on our roads isn't terribly safe. The roads tend to be narrow, many without shoulders. Scooters can't keep up with traffic speeds.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scooter rentals

Sorry, but you are going to get a residents idea on riding scooters on kauai.

The scooters are pretty slow, and the roads are pretty narrow, and there are not many roads with shoulders to get out of the way of faster traffic.

Not sure how much aloha you will receive, when kimo is on the way home from work, and encounters a scooter blocking his way to his much thought of cold brew.

Another problem is the inattention of drivers. It is quite a problem here, and perhaps the visitors do not see it , but we do.

Almost every day we encounter, and see, vehilce weaving due to chemical or alcohol impairment, or inattention, or visitors looking at sites, or getting silly to take photos, or people using cell phones ( now against the law ).

Constant problem....but just yesterday, drivng home from work on Nawiliwili...toward the harbor, I had to stop for a car waiting to turn left on a side street. I look in my mirror, and here comes a local pick up truck, really fast.

Not good....as his truck gets larger in my mirrow, I see he has a newspaper or close facimile on his dash board,and looking down reading it. He looks up and slams on his breaks, just short of my car. The left hand truning car turns out of the way, and I drive off....the guy goes back to reading his paper.

Yes, you can ride to kipu falls...small falls out on the puhi by-pass road.

Narrow, speed limit is 25 mph....and I love driving this road, and rarely go thru Lihue when coming from the west side.

However, very few folks are going 25 mph.....and it is very narrow, barely enough room for approaching vehilces to not whack their side view mirrors.

Add in a slow scooter, and that might turn into a not so good situation for someone.

Anyway, that is our feelling, and the signs that the scooter company, that is now in Anchor Cove has out do say......# 1 Rated Activity ( nonesense ), and

ride to a waterfall. They are there, and busy on NCL days. Cruise ship passengers on thrs, and early fridays.

You might drive out to kipu falls, and look at it, and see if it meets your criteria for a water fall. It will not be a many hundreds of feet waterfall cascading down a cliff, which most people think of.

As usual, your decision.......personally, we would drive a car to, and kayak the wailua and walk to secret falls and have lunch, and play.

Wanted to let you know the scoops from a different stand point than the visitor might be aware of. You can scope out Kipu Falls , by driving in your rental car, and then make an informed decision.

Denny

Edited: 9:27 pm, July 29, 2010
La Mirada...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scooter rentals

Thanks so Much Denny. That pretty much made up our minds for the Scooter rental. I drive for a living and know just how bad some of those idiots are out there. lol

Thanks again,

Al & Bobbi

California
Level Contributor
37,002 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scooter rentals

I totally agree that scooter rentals are dangerous, but if you want to do it on the North Shore there is a rental place next to Tahiti Nui. You could ride around the streets of Hanalei.

La Mirada...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scooter rentals

Thanks Jabett. We are staying in Hanalei. Do you think it's pretty safe to ride around local there? I dont want to affect traffic in anyway.

Thanks again,

Al & Bobbi

La Mirada...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Scooter rentals

Oh yea. Would someone please tell me what I H M O stands for. I read that above from pzp. Been driving me nuts for 2 days now. lol

Have a great weekend everyone.

California
Level Contributor
37,002 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scooter rentals

I thin pzp is jetlagged from her recent trip to Kentucky. I think she meant IMHO. In my humble opinion....

Anyway back to scooters. The small streets around Hanalei are quite safe. There's not a whole lot of them and I wouldn't recommend you rent scooters and continue up the highway, though I see people doing it. Those windy roads could prove dangerous when big trucks come around the curves. Renting bikes around Hanalei sound safer to me.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,884 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scooter rentals

Aloha from Kaua'i!

IMHO = in my humble opinion.

And add me as someone who would say not a good idea to rent scooters here - unless you just drive around in Hanalei and down Weke Rd. by Hanalei Bay.

Kaua'i is not made for scooters IMO (in my opinion) - even the places that the scooter rental places say are "safe" like going to Kipu Falls on the Kipu by-pass - really bad and unsafe.

Malama Pono,

Janet

La Mirada...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Scooter rentals

This TA is the best thing since sliced bread. Thanks for all the help. :))

Al & Bobbi

Bellefontaine, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Scooter rentals

I know you have already made up your mind in not renting a scooter and I think you made a wise decision. I have seen and read to many accidents on Kauai with a scooter. The traffic is too congested for a scooter that only travels 25-35 mph. and to top them out on there speed there is a huge controlling issue. I never thought I would say NO to this idea but I witnessed and accident with one this last time while in Kauai in July. Also while we traveled in car I payed attention to the riders and at their top speed they were quite shaky and this was on the major roadways. I hate for the rental companies to loose money but I think safety comes first!! I say all this and I ride motorcycles but at least they can go the speed limits...