We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Restaurant for a Foodie

Which Hanalei hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Breckenridge...
Level Contributor
30 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Best Restaurant for a Foodie

I'm heading to Kauai at the end of March, and have one night set for a dinner out with the husband sans 3-year-old. We both are foodies and want to make the most out of our one night out during our vacation. I'd love some recommendations on the best place to go for a great dinner without the kid.

Also, any recommendations on good / great food that is kid friendly would be really helpful, too.

We also want to do the following - any advice is appreciated

Kite boarding (husband had one lesson in St. Maarten, ready for more but will need more lessons)

Mountain Biking

Tunnel Hike

Thanks!!!

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Restaurant for a Foodie

Where are you staying? You'll get many opinions but these are my favorites.

In Hanalei, BarAcuda. After dinner, walk across the street to Tahiti Nui for live music and libation.

In Poipu/Koloa, Beach House, Tidepools (@ Hyatt).

In Kapaa, Hukilau Lanai.

Oh, just realized this is Hanalei forum so you must be staying there.

On other nights with your little one, Hanalei Gourmet, Kalypso, Hanalei Dophin, Nanea (@ Westin) and Tahiti Nui. But for a foodie such as yourself, BarAcuda will be your best bet.

California
Level Contributor
35,609 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Restaurant for a Foodie

BarAcuda is wonderful but its a tapas restaurant. My favorite tapa is the scallop.

For a really foodie experience with the price tag to match Kauai Grill is the place. It is in the St Regis Hotel.

If you are staying on the North Shore I would not really recommend Tahiti for a 3 year old. I would tend to go to Kalypso, Hanelei Gourmet or Nanea is good but it gets really mixed reviews. I've been there 3 times and liked everything but lunch. the flies drove me nuts. Other quick choices: Federicos Mexican, Tamarin Thai, Hanalei Grindz for pizza and Lighthouse Bistro. Type in restaurants in the search box and tons of threads will pop up. There was recent thread about good restaurants for kids.

Happy travels.

Bay Area California
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Restaurant for a Foodie

I would have to recommend Hukilau Lanai. It is worth the drive to go to it.

The last two times that I have been on the island we had the tasting dinner with the wine paring. What is so nice is that they feature local products. Also it's was fantastic food and the price is right $40!

Only thing is that they only offer it between 5 and 6pm. I highly recommend having a reservation and you can do it online in advance.

Check out the menu here: http://www.hukilaukauai.com/menu-tasting.php

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,504 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Restaurant for a Foodie

No one mentioned Roy's in Poipu. There is a lot of good, fresh food in Kauai, but if you are a foodie, Roy's Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine is the best example.

http://www.roysrestaurant.com/cuisine/

Other nice restaurants we enjoy are Tidepools, Dondero's, Plantation Gardens, and Beach House.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,342 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Restaurant for a Foodie

Mediterranean Gourmet in Haena:

http://www.kauaimedgourmet.com/

(about 15-20 minutes past Hanalei)

Edited: 8:41 pm, March 11, 2010
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,747 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Restaurant for a Foodie

Not a lot on Kauai for us food snobs :-) The only restaurant that even comes close is the Merriman's (upstairs) in Poipu. There are a few dives that are fantastic (Hamura Saimin in Lihue is one of them) and the rest are pretty usual fair.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,342 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Restaurant for a Foodie

Anna-Roz,

Have you been to Mediterranean Gourmet, especially for dinner? We love this place and I think our tastes are similar. The owners are the nicest folks we have met in a long time. I will have to try Merriman's in August.

Marti

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,747 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Restaurant for a Foodie

Marti - no, we did not eat there. We did stop by and husband practiced his Arabic but it was too late for lunch and too early for dinner, and we promised to return but did not. Generally, we would not say "no" to a good Middle Eastern meal, but it may not be imaginative enough to appeal to a foodie.

You may want to comment abour Red Salt, which looked like it would please a foodie. We ran out of steam, got lazy, and did not try it this December, but I recall you mentioning that it was quite good.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Restaurant for a Foodie

Merrimans would top my list. Then perhaps the Eastside or Red Salt. (maybe reverse those 2).

We've been unlucky at Tidepools, find Roys location a bit off putting (good just not great), found the Med Gourmet again good not great. Haven't had a chance to hit the St. Regis grill.

Kauai is not the place for real foodies. Luckily, I'm just as happy at Hamura's.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,747 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Restaurant for a Foodie

<<I'm just as happy at Hamura's.>>

Join.