We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LOVE Hanalei. Lodging w/ 5-yr old in mind?

Austin
4 posts
Save Topic
LOVE Hanalei. Lodging w/ 5-yr old in mind?

For 15 years now we have stayed at Hanalei Colony Resort and loved, loved, loved it. Now we have our 5-yr old, and we have new priorities and HCR, without a (nice) pool or swimmable beach, won't work.

I realize that we will have to trade in some of the quiet simplicity of HCR for someplace that will keep Makena happy. But is there some where to stay up there where we could have a pool-and-a swimmable beach? Preferably a beachfront hotel, she like to have other people around.

I know the pickings are slim. We would stay in Poipu, much more kid friendly, but I understand there is construction and we want no part in that.

Also, we have never been to the Big Island, but know little about it. I wonder if there is a comparable area there. But of course nothing could match the beauty of the North Shore.

Mahalo so much. My spirit and soul are calling me to the beautiful Hawaiian Islands.

Half Moon Bay...
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: LOVE Hanalei. Lodging w/ 5-yr old in mind?

Looks like the Hanalei Bay Resort is still nice--glad to hear it! We stayed there several times (before kids) in the late 90s and enjoyed it a lot. It had an excellent swimming pool with a little sandy area for the kids and waterfalls. The hills on the property are quite steep walking, but the beach at the bottom is nice.

During the past 6 years, we've been going to the Big Island and staying on the Kona side. Not lush like Kauai, but not quite so many mosquitos, either. Like Kauai, it is fairly laid-back, not a big night-life type of place. It's a little more difficult to find nice beachfront hotels on the Kona side of the island, but several have nice pools to compensate.

The place most comparable to what I've read about Hanalei Colony Resort is an all-inclusive place called Kona Village Resort. Pricey, but they have a kids program, all meals and most activities included in the rates. (And, like what I've read of HCR, KVR is also no phones/tvs/air conditioning...which we didn't mind at all.) It's right on a beautiful, sandy beach with wonderful snorkeling and lots of sea turtles. Gorgeous grounds with gravel paths for lots of walking adventures, nice fish pond to check out....*sigh*....They have changed ownership recently, but from what I've seen of their newsletter, many of the staff are still there. I'm not sure how the nearby (offsite) construction is affecting things...we were there for lunch (and massage for me--heaven!) last December, and we didn't notice any noise, but you could see it from the main highway.

KVR is out of our budget range now, so we now enjoy the Sheraton in Keauhou. Not a quiet simplicity sort of place, but highly entertaining for our kiddos (3 and 5). It's right next to the ocean, but on a big lava cliff, so no beach access. Their pool compensates greatly (sandy kids section, large and tiny water slides nothing over 4' deep), and they have a great kids' rec room on site with a day program for kids 5 and up.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: LOVE Hanalei. Lodging w/ 5-yr old in mind?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

There has been lots of postings on the illegal vacation rental situation here on Kaua'i -- if you look, I'm sure you can find the original threads on it.

But to recap -- the people who own homes and are illegally renting them as vaction rentals are being cited -- there were 16 homes in the Ha'ena area that were cited a few months ago -- and this was just the tip of the iceberg. Virtually every neighborhood on the island has rentals that are being done illegally.

It is a very long and involved subject which I won't go into here since it has already been done -- but basically be very careful when you are renting and make sure that the vacation rental is legal and not one of the many, many illegal rentals that we have all over the island. I would ask the owner or manager directly about this situation.

Malama Pono,

Janet

13. Re: LOVE Hanalei. Lodging w/ 5-yr old in mind?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, September 05, 2009