We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LOVE Hanalei. Lodging w/ 5-yr old in mind?

Austin
4 posts
Save Topic
LOVE Hanalei. Lodging w/ 5-yr old in mind?

For 15 years now we have stayed at Hanalei Colony Resort and loved, loved, loved it. Now we have our 5-yr old, and we have new priorities and HCR, without a (nice) pool or swimmable beach, won't work.

I realize that we will have to trade in some of the quiet simplicity of HCR for someplace that will keep Makena happy. But is there some where to stay up there where we could have a pool-and-a swimmable beach? Preferably a beachfront hotel, she like to have other people around.

I know the pickings are slim. We would stay in Poipu, much more kid friendly, but I understand there is construction and we want no part in that.

Also, we have never been to the Big Island, but know little about it. I wonder if there is a comparable area there. But of course nothing could match the beauty of the North Shore.

Mahalo so much. My spirit and soul are calling me to the beautiful Hawaiian Islands.

California
Level Contributor
37,274 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LOVE Hanalei. Lodging w/ 5-yr old in mind?

It sounds like you love the north shore so stay up there. Hanalei Bay Resort sounds like what you are looking for. They have a wonderful pool with cascading waterfalls and a little baby area with sand if your child isn't a great swimmer. The beach at the bottom of the path is great for swimming and snorkeling. HBR is kid friendly. She can feed the koi fish in the stream leading down from the lobby. They have 8 tennis courts and during the summer they have kid's activities. Your child will have many other kids to play with but it is not a loud and noisy resort. You want to rent through a private owner for the nicest units.

Another nice thing about HBR is the lounge and restaurant on site. They have a kid friendly items on the menu if you don't feel like cooking in your condo.

I first brought my kids to HBR when the youngest was 5. She has loved it ever since. She has many happy memories of playing in the lagoon style pool and meeting nice kids she could play with.

The only place on the big island I have stayed in is the Hilton Waikoloa. HUGE hotel. Much like Disneyland. My kids loved it. I hated it. A 5 year old would think she was in heaven. Heaven to me is Kauai.

Novato, California
Level Contributor
115 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LOVE Hanalei. Lodging w/ 5-yr old in mind?

HBR was perfect for us earlier this month. We were traveling with a 5-month-old, 4-year-old, and 8-year-old (we shared a privately owned condo with Grandma and Granddad). The grounds are gorgeous, the views are incredible, and the pool was amazing and such fun for all of us (night swimming was especially great--you could hear the live music wafting from the lounge above and everything!). The 4-year-old took hula and leigh-making lessons with Grandma and loved them both (the 8-year-old took ukulele lessons with Granddad!).

It's totally peaceful and quiet and relaxed there--it's a resort with none of the pretentiousness of a resort, I'd say--Poipu was a little jarring after it, in fact!

The only drawback to HBR is the hike it takes to get to the beach, the restaurant, the car (depending, of course, on where you're located in the complex)--you can call a golf cart, but they're small and not really very convenient when you just wanna get going. So, for instance, carrying two sleeping kids over your shoulder to get back after dinner can be a challenge. ;) And the beach is totally great for kids, but it's a pretty serious treck back up the hill to get home (again you can call the cart, but...).

But still, I'd say it was just perfect for us!

California
Level Contributor
37,274 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LOVE Hanalei. Lodging w/ 5-yr old in mind?

YertleTurtle,

It's Joan. So glad you are better and you enjoyed HBR. We were pretty worried about you there for awhile.

I know what you mean about the hike back up the hill. That's why I tell people driving to Hanalei Bay or Tunnels is sometimes worth it. Wtih little kids and carrying so much stuff, it is tiring. But the option of calling the golf cart is there at least unlike other condos. Anyway glad you are back home and not itchy anymore.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,715 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LOVE Hanalei. Lodging w/ 5-yr old in mind?

We rented a 2 bedroom / 2 bath house in Haena right on the beach. It was very reasonable compared to the prices of HCR and HBR. We have a 5 and 8 year old, both boys. They spent their days playing in the water (there is a large reef about 100 yards out so the water is pretty calm), building sand castles and swinging in the hammock. We were a short walk to Hanalei Colony Resort and enjoyed both lunch and dinner at the Mediterrian Gourmet. My husband also enjoyed a massage at the Day Spa. We rented the house through Kauai Vacation Rentals but there are other agents with propertied available as well. We stayed in "Haena Hale". There is a sister house on the same large lot called "Waiohonu". It's cheaper if you rent for a week.

California
Level Contributor
37,274 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LOVE Hanalei. Lodging w/ 5-yr old in mind?

Martik,

I suggested HBR as she wants a nice pool. The downside to renting a house is you do not have pool access. Some people like the option of a pool. Another thing people need to start worrying about is the crackdown on rental homes in that area of Haena.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,715 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LOVE Hanalei. Lodging w/ 5-yr old in mind?

I thought about that.... I stayed at a place with a pool the first week and my 5 year old wanted nothing to do with it. Go figure! The next two weeks, we were on the beach and he loved it. He even figured out how to body surf with his brother. But I hear that HBR is very nice. We might try it out some time.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,715 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LOVE Hanalei. Lodging w/ 5-yr old in mind?

p.s. I also mentioned the rentals in Haena because of the proximity to HCR.

Austin
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: LOVE Hanalei. Lodging w/ 5-yr old in mind?

"Crackdown on rental homes in Haena"????

Can someone clarify? Thanks!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,715 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LOVE Hanalei. Lodging w/ 5-yr old in mind?

I do not know the full details but I heard something last year when we were looking into puchasing a fractional ownership in Poipu. I understand that there is legislation coming (or already passed?) that will limit the amount of time a home owner can rent their property, depending on where it is located. This is also affecting the Poipu area. Again, I do not have the details (can someone elaborate?).

California
Level Contributor
37,274 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LOVE Hanalei. Lodging w/ 5-yr old in mind?

About 1+ months ago there were many posts on this subject. Go to search and you will find them. There has always been restrictions on certain areas to rent on Kauai. When we looking to buy we were informed of this and we ended up not buying a great house because we were too afraid someone would rat us out. Well it seems that is what's happending in Haena. Most likely someone got T'd off and now the county is after these rental homes. I haven't heard much else this last month but maybe a local can fill us in on the latest news.