We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haena: Hale Makai Cottages or Rental on 560?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Haena: Hale Makai Cottages or Rental on 560?

We will be staying in Haena in August, and we're trying to choose between the Hale Makai Cottages and a rental within 10 minutes' walk to Tunnels that is situated on the main road 560. We are a little concerned about noise on the road, but we want to be close to a beach where we can swim potentially. Is Hale Makai also within walking distance of Tunnels beach? Is Ke'e generally more calm, or Tunnels? Thank you for any thoughts...

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,197 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haena: Hale Makai Cottages or Rental on 560?

In August you may be able to snorkel at Kepuhi Beach, just to the west of the Hale Makai Cottages. We've actually had some very good snorkeling there when seas are calm. The drawback is that it always seems to be very windy there. You really can't walk to Tunnels from there. It's not safe to walk along the road and the beach there has very coarse sand which makes the walking difficult.

Depending on how far the house sits back from the road you may have a fair amount of road noise during the day right along the main road. But there isn't that much traffic at night.

Generally Ke'e inside the lagoon is calmer than Tunnels, but in August both are likely to be very calm most days.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haena: Hale Makai Cottages or Rental on 560?

We've stayed at Hale Makai Cottages in late summer each of the last two years. It's not something you'll want to do often, but you can walk to Tunnels from there. I'd guess it's close to a mile, but because of the deep sand DesertBeachLover mentioned, it takes close to 40 minutes on the beach, half that along the road. There's a bit of a grassy shoulder on at least one side of the road for most of the distance, so I didn't have the feeling that it was unsafe.

As DesertBeachLover says, snorkeling out front of Hale Makai Cottages is quite good, though not to the level of Tunnels. The reef formations there sometimes have the water looking like a washing machine, but there's still a small area where you can safely swim.

If my wife had her way (which means, if we had the budget for it), we'd stay in Hale Makai Cottage #3 every time we went to Kauai. And she wouldn't have to twist my arm.

Edited: 10:12 pm, May 07, 2013
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Haena: Hale Makai Cottages or Rental on 560?

Hale Makai Cottages recently got a lengthy 4 part review in the chronicles.

…blogspot.com/2013/04/musings-abuse-chronicl…

California
Level Contributor
35,288 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haena: Hale Makai Cottages or Rental on 560?

Despite the erosion (and yes I saw it was pretty bad when I was out there in January) Hale Makai Cottages are very cute. I've been in quite a few. I would stay there in a minute though it is very difficult to walk all the way to Tunnels due to erosion and the sand is very hard to walk on, and the ocean right there can be quite rough all year round.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
10 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haena: Hale Makai Cottages or Rental on 560?

Thanks to all for your replies. We have a light sleeper among us, so we're trying to weigh whether the noise of traffic along the 560 or the noise of the ocean itself (next to Hale Makai) would be more difficult to sleep to. That probably sounds crazy, but quiet nights are paramount. Given that, especially for those who have spent the night at Hale Makai, any thoughts? We would try to stay in Cottage 5 at Hale Makai, which is furthest from the ocean...

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,459 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Haena: Hale Makai Cottages or Rental on 560?

Traffic noise along the road at night is basically non-existent. Ocean noise is going to be loader than traffic noise, but personally the sound of the waves puts me to sleep.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Haena: Hale Makai Cottages or Rental on 560?

When we traveled with another couple in Sept. 2011 we stayed in Cottage #5. I'm a light sleeper too, but I don't remember being awaken by anything except the occasional middle-of-the-night rain or thunder shower. I don't recall that we could even hear the ocean, from either bedroom, and certainly not any road noise. There's not much distance between Cottages 5 & 1, however, and they're separated only by a tall hedge, so on the off-chance you get a rambunctious neighbor, you might put the light sleeper in the back bedroom.

The trade-off in being back away from the sounds of the ocean is that you're also sheltered from the tradewinds. Which means it can a bit toasty in the afternoons and early evenings. You might consider Cottage #2, even though you're certain to hear the sounds of the ocean from there. Won't be crashing waves though, as it's far enough in from the reef.

Edited: 11:21 am, May 08, 2013
Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,958 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Haena: Hale Makai Cottages or Rental on 560?

We just had friends stay in a house across 560 from the ocean in Haena in April. It was before Med. Gourmet. They said traffic noise was not a problem after dark.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
255 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Haena: Hale Makai Cottages or Rental on 560?

Pretty disappointing to see that nobody is even considering the Kauai Eclectic report. The fact that they are cute seems like a very weak reason to support them. So much for loving the 'aina.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,209 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Haena: Hale Makai Cottages or Rental on 560?

Interesting read BNb - It's hard to believe how shamelessly these places reach out and grab public beach....and get away with it....

Thanks for the link,

3Chihuahuas