We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haena vs Hanalei

GAJ
CT
Level Contributor
115 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Haena vs Hanalei

Hello, We are planning to spend 4 nights on the north shore of Kauai next month. We are a couple and will have a friend with us for a few of the nights so we are interested in 2 bedroom accommodations. We know we want to be in or near Hanalei. We are not interested in staying at large resort. Would staying in Haena be too far to get to Hanalei for meals etc? I have been looking at the Hanalei Colony Resort as an option for us. Or would a house rental right in Hanalei be a better option? We will have a car but do not want to be constantly driving to town and back at night.The HCR looks really beautiful right on the water. I have not been able to find a more affordable option on the beach in Hanalei. Any other suggestions or insight on Hanalei Colony would be helpful. Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
9,220 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haena vs Hanalei

I've stayed at Hanalei Colony Resort and love it! I think it's a great option, and it's right next to one of my favorite restaurants, Mediterranean Gourmet. While the beach there is usually not swimmable, it's very close to some of the best snorkeling at Ke'e and Tunnels. The beautiful drive to Hanalei is not bad at all--maybe 15 min.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haena vs Hanalei

We've stayed in cottages next door to Hanalei Colony Resort the last couple years, and love that location. But it IS 4.5 - 5 miles and 7 one-lane bridges removed from Hanalei, which translates to a 10 - 15 minute drive. I'm guessing we made that drive at least once every day, and never tired of it. But with kitchen facilities at Hanalei Colony Resort, you wouldn't necessarily have to.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,459 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haena vs Hanalei

I stay further down the road in Haena and I never get tired of the drive in to Hanalei or further. It is so beautiful along there it is worth it. And the Med. Gourmet is a fantastic restaurant!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,442 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haena vs Hanalei

We stayed at HCR for two nights last October and loved our visit! The ocean waves were crazy and beautiful, but the wind wasn't blowing the way I have heard it can. In fact, we could have used the trades!

I love the drive to Hanalei from either Princeville or Haena because it is peaceful and gorgeous. It was great having Mediterranean Gourmet and the Napili Coffee and Art Gallery right next door. For us it was a luxury......think rustic!....retreat and we didn't drive around much. I could see the appeal in staying right in Hanalei town also. Deb

California
Level Contributor
35,295 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haena vs Hanalei

As far as HCR you need to ask yourself and the other couple or friend, who's getting the bedroom with twin beds?

Also check out Makai Cottages a few doors down from HCR. I like them much better.

HCR is just a short drive to Hanalei. If you want to be in Haena, this is a great option, though the prices of the condos at HCR are getting out of control. For 4 nights it might be perfect. It probably won't be as windy as during the fall. That's when the wind howls.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Haena vs Hanalei

We had that same debate and chose to stay in Hanalei at the Hanalei Moon Beach Cottage. (a popular place. We lucked out and found a gap in their schedule). We loved our choice cuz we could swim in the bay and walk to stores and restaurants,etc. When we drove out to Ke'e beach, we stopped to check out HCR for future trips. (we asked for a key and saw an oceanfront condo. The unit we saw did have a view of the ocean but also a view of the building next door so I believe, unless you get the Premium Oceanfront condo, their most $ ones, you won't have a 100% clear shot of the ocean). HCR is a great setting with a more remote feeling, which could be a selling point for some people, or even us on other trips. But for this trip, we liked being able to walk into town with more options for food. Med Gourmet looked good and the people working were super friendly when we stopped to check out the menu, but it is a little $ to eat there often, at least for us. BTW, it seems like there are some rental homes that are very close but not on Hanalei Bay, like the Surfboard house. Maybe those are worth considering too? Prior to our trip we also looked into the cottages next to HCR. They looked fantastic but I couldn't justify the $$$. ($400-450/night, I think, including the out-cleaning fee). That might be a good option too if it's in your price range.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,275 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Haena vs Hanalei

We love HCR and have stayed there for a few nights the last few summers. We are a family of 4 so the twin beds in the 2nd bedroom work our perfectly for us. If you friend does not mind sleeping on one of the twins, that would be fine. The master bedroom has a comfortable king sized bed. The walls between the bedrooms do not go all the way to the top and the doors are louvered so there is not a whole lot of privacy (noise wise). I took some pictures of the room and resort in 2011. But we really enjoy the location and proximity to one of our favorite restaurants on the island, The Mediterranean Gourmet.

…blogspot.com/2012/07/hanalei-colony-resort.…

California
Level Contributor
9,220 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Haena vs Hanalei

We stayed at HCR with another couple for a few days; they moved the twin beds together, and we all felt like there was plenty of privacy. I didn't hear anyone other than my husband snore : ) Also, we didn't stay in the most expensive unit, but the views were still spectacular.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Haena vs Hanalei

The Hale Makai Cottages jebett mentioned are where we stayed. My wife would tell you it doesn't get much better than the one we stayed in last August. But only two of the five cottages are 2-bedroom, and the least expensive of those is at the back of the property, without a view to the beach. Even without the view, it's more expensive than the best rooms at HCR.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,275 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Haena vs Hanalei

22Kauai,

I'm glad you responded. We've only stayed at HCR with my family or just the two of us (before kids) and never had any noise issues, either. My husband and kids get up early while I sleep in. We usually set the kids up in the 2nd bedroom and my husband will get some work done at the dining room table. They will often walk over to the little coffee shop first thing in the morning for a lite breakfast and coffee or smoothie. We've also only rented units with a full 2nd bathroom so that works well for us. My kids like the beach area to collect drift wood. They also love the pool area and I will often do laundry or read there while they swim.

Marti