We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Which beach front house in Haena?

Denver, Colorado
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help! Which beach front house in Haena?

We are going to Kauai in mid February and are deciding between 3 properties.

The Love Shack: www.kauailoveshack.com

Hale Kephui: dwellable.com/h/…Hale-Kepuhi-Vacation-Home

Hale Kalani: www.jeanandabbott.com/properties/kalani-hale/

We are a family of 3 and are seeking a nice home that we can be comfortable hanging in if it's raining. We also love to walk the beach and explore. We like to have cocktails on the lanai or beachfront. But we are torn......We love the feel of the love shack. The challenge is it's right on Kuhio hwy and does not have a big covered lanai. Kalani is in a great location right next to tunnels. It has a big lanai, but it's not covered. Kephui has great lanais and is an updated home but it feels a bit less warm and I wonder if that beachfront is less desirable then the beaches that are closer to tunnels...

Has anyone stayed at these properties? We'd love perspective from locals or anyone who has stayed in the properties as we make our decision. Thanks

Batesville
Level Contributor
507 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Help! Which beach front house in Haena?

Road noise is a minor issue. As I said in my original post, the roiling surf drowns out most of the noise during the day, and there's very little traffic at night.

HCR is a grouping of condo-like buildings in a resort complex with a restaurant, shops, and a spa--and a big parking lot. The Love Shack is a stand-alone house with excellent media and lots of privacy. In other words, the two are not altogether comparable.

My wife and I have been on the North Shore in the winter eight times. Sometimes it rains, sometimes it doesn't rain, sometimes it rains and doesn't rain. (We were on the North Shore in late June this year and had more rain than we did in January of 2011.) I recall one day when we were hanging out at Black Pot and it rained eight times, and each rain lasted 10 minutes and was followed by a rainbow. I'll take a rainy day like that in a second!

We have also stayed on the South Shore ten times, nine times in the winter. One of our running jokes is that we simply must go to the sunny south shore to escape the rain, and then it rains, and we say that we must go to the even more sunny west to escape the rain . . . and go . . . and go . . . and go . . . until we are at the end of the road to Polihale and it's still raining!

It rains everywhere on Kauai; when you get a Kona low, it REALLY rains everywhere on Kauai. It is also sunny on Kauai. A lot of days it's sunny and rainy. The only constants, or so it seems to us after ten visits, are the rapturous beauty, ineffable spirit of place, incredibly friendly people, laid-back vibe, absurdly wonderful beaches, terrific food--and the inevitable melancholy when you are sitting in the airport, waiting for the flight home.

If you are afraid of rain on your vacation, check out New Mexico's desert.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,826 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help! Which beach front house in Haena?

<<HCR is a grouping of condo-like buildings in a resort complex with a restaurant, shops, and a spa--and a big parking lot>>

Yes, I'm very familar with HCR. We've stayed there at least 6-7 times over the past 23 years. The OP is a family of 3 (not sure the age of the child) but with my children, they loved having access to the heated pool at HCR.

And the only reason the experts are warning the OP of the rain is that the bridges washed out numerous times last winter. The owner of Med. Gourmet was stuck on Kapaa for several days on her way back from a trip. The folks in Haena were without electricity or access to food for several days. Med. Gourmet ended up opening their kitchen to the residents during this time. If you are prepared and stocked up, it should not be an issue.

Denver, Colorado
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Help! Which beach front house in Haena?

Thanks everyone for your inputs! We elected to stay at the Love Shack. The feel/style of the cottage is exactly what we are looking for. Also, my husband loved the idea of being right over the ocean. I've read various reviews and it seems that 90% of people didn't mind the location next to the road as the surf is loud and the traffic is minimal at night. During the day we will be out exploring, going for long walks on the beach, kayaking, etc. Or, if it is pouring, we will be sitting in the living room, enjoying the view or putting on our raincoats and braving the stormy weather. I do think the biggest drawback is the lanai. But, we figured we will do cocktail hour on the beach or in our living room or on the lanai while our son plays in the sand. We fell in love with Northern Kauai on our honeymoon and are so looking forward to being back on the magical island. My husband and I agreed that we would probably be thrilled with any of the properties we were considering. We are looking forward to walking by all of the locations we checked out as we have google earth mapped all of them. (We also considered HCR and Makai cottages and then decided to do a private rental).

So, thanks again for your time and inputs. We can't wait to visit Kauai - rain or shine!

14. Re: Help! Which beach front house in Haena?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 pm, February 18, 2014