We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ke'e Beach and Ha'ena closed - shark sighting at Ha'ena...

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,847 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Ke'e Beach and Ha'ena closed - shark sighting at Ha'ena...

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yesterday the beaches at Ke'e and Ha'ena were closed due to high surf and a shark sighting at Ha'ena.....just part of our winter weather conditions - check daily before going out to North Shore beaches please.

thegardenisland.com/news/local/high-surf-clo…

Malama Pono,

Janet

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ke'e Beach and Ha'ena closed - shark sighting at Ha'ena...

I had my tongue in my cheek when I asked, 3chihuahuas. And I'm glad the answer's No. ;-)

I've read about and am considering the night snorkel, but first want to know if it in any way threatens the manta rays like I know swimming with the dolphins does them.

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ke'e Beach and Ha'ena closed - shark sighting at Ha'ena...

My husband and I both swear we saw a small shark in front of Kuhio Shores in 2010 but I have no idea what kind it was. I was not too scared as it did not look to be more than about 4 feet. Nobody else saw it as far as we could tell.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,209 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Ke'e Beach and Ha'ena closed - shark sighting at Ha'ena...

I don't think the night dives threaten the rays (unless touched), however it has changed their behavior. The lights attract the plankton which attracts the mantas. Evidently they are far more interested in food than the divers, lol.

http://www.mantapacific.org/kona/index.html

You might post on the BI forum about this.

3Chihuahuas

San Diego...
Level Contributor
255 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ke'e Beach and Ha'ena closed - shark sighting at Ha'ena...

I saw a medium-sized shark right from the lanai of our condo earlier this year. The lanai looks directly into the water and the breaking waves, and the shark was very visible, first on the surface of the water and then outlined in the wave. It was about ten feet behind a turtle, in fact it looked like the shark was about to attack the turtle but I saw no evidence that this happened. The shark looked to be about 5-6 feet long.

California
Level Contributor
35,295 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ke'e Beach and Ha'ena closed - shark sighting at Ha'ena...

There's an older youtube video of a shark almost on the beach at Poipu. They are out there and just like with all oceans, it's there territory and you are the visitor.

16. Re: Ke'e Beach and Ha'ena closed - shark sighting at Ha'ena...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:41 pm, June 19, 2013